S2 Door Glass

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Fri May 29, 2009 4:09 pm

I finally got up the courage to loosen the windscreen frame bolts and try to adjust the frame angle. I was able to get a tiny bit more clearance but not enough to allow the door to close. To get any more, I would have to enlarge the holes in the frame or the body, and that is not in the cards.

I ended up trimming the old seal to fit in the reduced space and reinstalling it. When the door is closed, you can't see that the seal has been modified. It is actually a pretty good solution because the original seal has a good fit to the outside of the windscreen frame; the new seal leaves a gap there. I may refit the original to the passenger side as well.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Sat May 01, 2021 1:39 pm

I know this thread is a couple of years old but I am about to refit my doors but when I dismantle the car 8 years ago a number of hooked spacers fell out when I removed the bolts holding the window sliding channels. Unfortunately I don't know which bolts had the spacers so is there an adjustment procedure to align the slider channels correctly? The glass is a bit tight in some of the channel making it difficult to slide it up when sitting in the car.

Any suggestions welcome.
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Sun May 09, 2021 2:51 pm

ivan.wood wrote:I know this thread is a couple of years old but I am about to refit my doors but when I dismantle the car 8 years ago a number of hooked spacers fell out when I removed the bolts holding the window sliding channels. Unfortunately I don't know which bolts had the spacers so is there an adjustment procedure to align the slider channels correctly? The glass is a bit tight in some of the channel making it difficult to slide it up when sitting in the car.

Any suggestions welcome.

I made a video showing how I went about assembling the door glass on my S2. Go to about 6:00 in the video. Hope it helps.
https://youtu.be/9uyg_Z0HZbU

Paul
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Sun May 09, 2021 7:32 pm

Thanks Paul, I was not sure if the hook shaped spacer was to align the window brackets to make the window slide up and down easily . Currently is quite tight to slide up and down when sitting in the car.

Have fitted the interior trim now so hopefully they will loosen off with time. I have driven the car up and down our road but it still needs some things for it Safety Check (MOT) before I can drive it legally. The engine is running a little rough, particularly at idle but I think I need to run it in before trying to find an expert to tune the 4 Webers!!! How is your car going hopefully you have managed to put some miles on it now the weather is improving.

Cheers

Ivan
Attachments
79E25DCA-F806-4AD1-95C0-071CADC0CD1B.jpeg and
First drive
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Sun May 09, 2021 9:07 pm

ivan.wood wrote: The engine is running a little rough, particularly at idle but I think I need to run it in before trying to find an expert to tune the 4 Webers!!! How is your car going hopefully you have managed to put some miles on it now the weather is improving.

Cheers

Ivan

Hi Ivan,
The Elan is going well thanks, I managed about 1000 miles last year once we were allowed out, all on local roads. Hopefully I'll be able to get to some events this year.

If you can get a couple of bits of equipment you could carry out a basic tune of the Webers yourself, not that difficult. I've got that on video as well :)
https://youtu.be/3oOh-X-mj0Y

Paul
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Sun May 09, 2021 10:57 pm

I would try some judicious bending and also different brinds of the fuzzy stuff. (MG, Triumph etc)
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: