Temperature gauge lying to me

PostPost by: hatman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:51 am

The temperature gauge in my car has suddenly taken it upon itself to refuse to go above the 70 degree mark although, clearly, the engine/coolant are reaching their normal operating zone of c90 degrees.

Question: is the fault likely to be the gauge itself or is the sender unit the more likely culprit? Anyone else experienced a deceitful temp gauge?
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:50 pm

not only could it be either,it could also be the voltage reg. that provides a steady 10v to the gauges,are the oil pressure/fuel gauge affected also?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:18 pm

If it is a mechanical dial it sounds like it is on its way out - mine went the same way.

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:53 pm

No John, the other gauges are fine (so I can rule out the electrickery, I hope).

Yes Ian, it is the original mechanical jobby (are there any other sort fitted?) so, from your experience, it's likely to have had its chips is it? Are replacements available and, if so, where from - the usual suspects? Is it possible/advisable to have it re-furbed?
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:00 pm

Hat'

I bought a pattern rep' from Paul Matty which is ok apart from the brass bit in the thermostat housing wouldn't come out. I missed a bit out and with some hermetite red it sealed ok (10K ago). A friend of mine recommends the people below for rebuilds and I intend to send my old unit for a recon' spare when I get round to it.

Hope this helps,

Ian

http://www.speedycables.co.uk/
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:45 pm

If the gauge needle goes up normally & then appears to get 'stuck', try giving it a tap with your finger. It could be a dead spider or something similar stopping the needle... :)

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:55 pm

That looks a useful link Ian - thanks.

Tried tapping it as soon as I realised it was stuck Matthew (I've always managed to repair the telly that way so it should have worked but didn't, even though I hit it a second time, harder - the infallible way of dealing with very persistent electrical faults in domestic equipment :) ).
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: