Windscreen wiper arms

PostPost by: poiuyt » Wed May 31, 2006 5:34 pm

My LHD 1969 S4 parks on the left (driver's side). This makes sense if you look at how the wiper path clears the windshield.

There is a larger unsewpt area on the side opposite the side where the wipers park. If they parked on the passenger side the driver would have a large area in the corner that would not be cleared. This was a problem I had years ago with a left hand drive Sunbeam Alpine with wipers that parked on the right side.

Steve B
Steve B.<br>1969 Elan S4
poiuyt
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed May 31, 2006 5:39 pm

sgbooth wrote:I appreciate the motor issue, but I think there's more to it than that.

If you look at the wiper arms themselves, they are cranked to angle down towards the bottom of the windscreen.

They are indeed and it is possible if you are gentle to change the angle of the arms by gripping them in a vice and gently bending the cranked part at the end
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:57 pm

poiuyt wrote:My LHD 1969 S4 parks on the left (driver's side). This makes sense if you look at how the wiper path clears the windshield.
There is a larger unsewpt area on the side opposite the side where the wipers park. If they parked on the passenger side the driver would have a large area in the corner that would not be cleared.
Steve B

I agree, the same applies to a RHD car with the parking in front of the driver.
Pic shows maximin sweep with RHD (parking in front of driver)
Attachments
May31608.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:58 am

The Lotus Service Parts List has this for Wiper motor

S1, S2, S3 to chassis 7399 A026M 6002 with no difference for LH or RH

S3 from chassis 7400 to 7894 036M 6086 with no difference for LH or RH

S4 from 7895 to 9774 RH is 036M 6276

S4 from 7895 to 9774 RH is 036M 6276 (the same)

S4 from 9775 RH is 036M 6292 with no LH.

Which leaves as many questions as before. And getting to the wiper motor to modify it doesn't look too attractive in my car. So I guess that is why most people live with what came with their car!

David
68 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:34 pm

The problem with the Elan wipers is that the posts are symmetrical so wipers can be installed on either a LH steering car or a RH steering car just by reversing the park position in the motor. The posts on my Europa (and most modern 2 wiper cars) are asymmetrical. This set up allows for a better clearing pattern on the windscreen.

I did reverse the parking position on my LH steering Elan so the wipers now park on the right. I didn't like them parked right in front of my face as they are 99% of the time. I did this recently, because I had the dash out and felt that this was the best time to do it. I had to bend one wiper arm in my vise. They now look like Brian's picture, not clearing as much of the far left side of my windscreen as I would like them to.

While I was making this conversion, I decided that the only way to do this properly was to move the left post a few inches to the left so that they are asymetrical, but that would require drilling a new hole in the cowl on the other side of the left washer nozzle as well as glassing in the old hole, something I plan to do when I re-do the body.

As far as the mechanical conversion is concerned, the wiper drive is contained in metal tubing, much like large brake pipe. It shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate the correct length brake pipe to accomodate the new location of the left post. Again, this is a project that will not happen until I re-do the body.

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Hello,

after reading meny topics I am confused. I have some syntetic questions, where everybody can offer a contribute in order to clarify as much as possible that matter.
My Elan Sprint LHD was Federal at the origine (now in Italy is a mix, weber conversion and electric wiring uknown, modified for sure frome previous owner)
1. Wipers stop where they are when i switch off the wiper switch; is it correct?
2. Are arms different for LHD or RHD?
3. Or are the same and it is only a matter to invert the right arm with the left arm?
4. One is 10? and the other 5?; which one for driver side?
Actual arm are satin made in england with a long number stamped on the back side.
Blades are Trico as shown in the parts list book, like speedblade, with logo Trico stamped on the top plate near the junctun to the bayonet.
5. Actual blade size is 33 cm=13"; is it correct 13" for the sprint? or is it 14"...?

Thank you for any comments that all toghether will be a good key point to clarify this matter.
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: