vacuum operated headlights

PostPost by: James » Sun May 28, 2006 5:21 am

This plus 2 is new to me; headlight vacuum system has been disconnected. I think I have all the bits to get it back together but there must be a problem or it wouldn't have been apart. I've heard of using aquarium pumps and such to get these working. Has anyone got a marvelous, tried and true solution to the original?
James
New-tral

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Sun May 28, 2006 6:28 am

James,

Try searching "headlights" or "vacuum" on the forum!

There are two types; you need to find which you have. With the majority, vacuum lifts the lights when you pull the knob. The lights stay down other times. With the later, failsafe type, the the vacuum hold the lights down when the lights are off. The lights will eventually pop up if the car if left.

I know the original type best.

Vacuum is lead from the inlet tract for the front cylinder, through a on-way valve. A pipe then runs down to a y-piece at the front centre of the front crossmember. This evacuates the crossmember to use it as a resevoir. The other leg for the Y goes to the control on the dash, then back to the lights. So assuming it is connected up try the following.

Start the car.

Go to the Y-peice.

Disconnect the engine side. Put you thumb over the pipe. Vacuum? Connection to engine OK. Reconnect.

Disconnect the cross-member side. Put you thumb over the Y-piece. Vacuum? Connection to engine OK. Connection to the lights OK. The lights should now work, and the problem is probably that the cross member leaking. This is not trivial to fix, as it can be chassis corrosion.

Reconnect.

Disconnect the lights/dash side. Put your thumb over the Y-piece. Vacuum? Connection to engine OK. Connection to the crossmember OK. The problem is in the circuit going to the dash and pods. At this point you need to check this part of the circuit. Reconnect the Y. Check the switch at the dash. Is there vacuum at the input? output? Are the rubber connections perished? Then move to the pods.

Once you figure out how it works, if you are methodical you will be able to trace the problem, and hopefully fix it.

good luck and best regards, Iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun May 28, 2006 7:17 am

James,
My car had the non failsafe system fitted which was old and only just working. I converted it to the failsafe and would highly recommend it.
If yours is in bits it would be a good time to do the conversion. If you search posts you will find plenty of advice on the subject. I bought the main bar which connects the headlamp pods from Andy at spyder and I am sure he would explain how it is fitted. The rest of the parts are kept in stock at Chrisneils. The hardest part to obtain is the stronger spring which are becoming rare but ann at Mick Millers has them.
I am happier driving at night now I know that the headlights are not going to suddenly drop down!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: