accelerator pedal slow to return to idle

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:57 pm

hello eveyone,

wonder if anyone has experienced this anomaly...took the sprint out for a run and the throttle is very slow to return to idle...i have to blip it to get back to normal idle or it hangs aronud 2000-2500 rpms... so i looked at the cable and it appears fine...seems that it just doesnt quite want to return all the way to the stop...perhaps a weak throttle return spring...so heres the question...wanting to take the least epensive way out...im thinking of just fitting a spring to the return stop to help it return all the way..seems like it ought to work fine...any opinions?
thanks,
david
72 lotus elan sprint coupe
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:22 pm

I eliminated the oem spring altogether and made a bridge across the carbs to fit two 'normal' return springs. The bridge is not straight across but rather more like a hill. The springs attach at the top of the hill and hook directly below to the carb throttle.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:38 pm

Have you tried cleaning and regreasing the throttle cable?
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: blueseamonkey » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:46 pm

This happened to my +2, it was actually the pedal shaft that needed greasing (and lots of it) to both ends. Its a common shaft for all 3 pedals, and fairly easy to get to, just use a good penetrating grease - can't get a much less expensive option than that. If that fails it probably will be the throttle cable - which I was advised should be replaced every 50,000 miles.
Rick
blueseamonkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:54 am

If you replace the throttle cable use a bicycle brake cable. The top quality, shimano or similar, cables are teflon coated and have a very smooth action. They make great throttle cables and are less expensive than a regular cable from the usual suspects.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garytvr » Sun May 07, 2006 2:18 am

My motocycle will do that when its running to rich a idle.
garytvr
New-tral

Total Online: