New rear bumper for Plus 2

PostPost by: ngs » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 pm

C.Neils lists new Plus 2 rear bumpers for GBP195.

Does anyone know how they compare for quality/fit with the originals?

Original bumpers seem to go for a lot of money on Ebay considering that they normally need to be re-chromed.

Thanks, Nigel
ngs
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:50 am

Hi Nigel
I've seen one from Paul Matty fitted to a car...I guess that they are the same source. The quality is good, but the wrap-around on the side is a little shorter than the originals, and it doesn't have the extra holes that the originals have (that aren't used and usually have a grommit in them!)
I have seen originals that have been re-chromed and are very shiney but rippled...very thin metal, and unless you're re-chroming a very solid original, by the time they grind out the bad metal, there isn't much left.

If you compare a mint original car to one fitted with a repro unit, you could tell the difference, otherwise a reckon the repro would look better....certainly better that a ripply / rusty / fibreglass one!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:26 pm

I have an original front bumper and a new CN rear (since my original rear was rusted through)

The front, although it has some light scratches, looks presentable and needs no attention on my everyday use car other than a wash along with the rest of the car once in a while.

The rear has developed rust stains and needs to be polished regularly to stop them getting worse.

I'd go for a reasonable condition original if you can possibly find a rear one...
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:14 pm

Hi Nigel,

Mark is right, the repro rear bumpers aren't long enough on the sides and don't quite fill the recesses. They do however (at least on my yellow car) have the holes usually fitted with a grommet (used to attach the Riley Elf overriders on the originals). Another slight difference - and maybe I'm imagining this - is that the 90 degree edge from horizontal to vertical is a little more acute on the repro than the more rounded original.

Best wishes,
Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: