Glove Box Lock

PostPost by: hughjames » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:37 pm

I have a 1971 Federal Elan Sprint convertible. The Owners manual clearly shows a keyed lock on both lhd and rhd. The Lotus parts manual shows p/n 026B6054 for S1 through S3 (optional on S3 conv.) and a different p/n 036B0171 for S4 Federal only. The restoration project I bought had no glove box lid, hence no lock. My new (expensive) dash has a hole for a lock but I don't know what to use. Can anyone help?
hughjames
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:23 am

I think any basic BMC, British Leyland glove box lock will work. This item is not a Lotus only piece, the inner steel securing tab is Triumph and/or MG as well.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:21 am

Most S4 Elans had a touch latch that you would push once to latch, and push again to unlatch. Someone in England (EBAY id HALSPAN) has had these remade and has been selling them on ebay. I bought one and it was as advertised, but did take a month for the mail to get it to me.

Of course if your new dash has a hole for a lock int he glovebox door, this doesn't help. I'd try to find a Spitfire lock so you could have the same key as the ignition or doors lock the glovebox.

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: