Wording for new dash

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi Guys

Does anyone know where I can buy the stick on wording for my new dash???

I have looked at the 'Letraset' letters and do not feel confident that they would look good stuck together. :cry:

I understand that someone has sold the completed words in the past, if any of you out there know where I can get them, or has a spare set I would be very happy to hear from you. :D

Thanks

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:15 pm

I think I saw some self adhesive label sets on the Chris Neil stand at Donnington a few w/ends ago.

May be worth giving them a call.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:32 pm

... Lettraset letters will work very well if ,
You are use to or maybe it's worth to by one more sheet for a training (better work on wood only , without instruments)... the font you choose ,
and if after your "artwork" , you gently spray clear varnish(better do a test on another piece before) because without , it will last a week !
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:58 am

RD Enterprises in Pennsylvania has them, or at least used to...

http://www.rdent.com

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:29 pm

When I was back in the UK last spring I looked at the ones Chris Neil have. They are printed on a clear vinyl sheet. I didn't buy them because I thought it was too thick & would be hard to successfully put on enough coats of varnish to cover them. I definately didn't want to put them on top of the varnish due to their thickness. Anyone know what the ones from RD are like?
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:01 am

The stickers from r.d. enterprises appear too thick at first glance, but with a few coats of varnish over them, you can't tell at all. If you're going to really do your dash from scratch, I highly recommend the book, "Brightwork, the Art of Finishing Wood," by Rebecca J. Whitman. It is excellent! Full of beautiful photos of wooden boats and their trim.

Taking the book's recommendations to heart, I refinished my original dash with about 10 coats of Interlux "Schooner" classic high gloss varnish mixed with a little boiled linseed oil. (Don't stir it in or you'll make bubbles... rock it back and forth to mix.) Apply with a foam brush to avoid streaking (new brush for each coat). Allow each coat to dry overnight, then sand with 220 grit paper and clean with a tack cloth before applying the next. You end up sanding away a couple of coats in the process, but end up with a mirror-like finish. Perhaps not the true stock finish, but it sure looks great! (I also made a raised cover made out of cardboard that I immediately put over the freshly varnished dash to avoid dust!)

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:46 pm

Thanks guys,

I rang Chris Neil, they do have them but are out of stock at the moment. Too many Lotuselan.net readers bought them all, they say they are getting a new supply in soon (but I am not telling you when until I get mine in the post) :)

Thanks

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:00 pm

The Chris Neil ones are *really* thick. If you are doing a full refurb and stick on 10 layers or more of varnish they will be ok, anything less and they look crap.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: