Color choice - Imperial Blue?

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:17 pm

Hi.

I am trying to make a final decision on the color for my Elan +2. Has anyone got a Ford Imperial Blue one, or Guardsman Blue? These are common Cobra colors that a mate is suggesting. I'm in Dorset, so it there's one close by a quick gander abd/or photos would be very much appreciated.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:48 pm

Oh this is such a difficult decision....

At first I was determined to have Lagoon Blue all over.
Then I was settled on Lagoon Blue with the silver roof.
Then I thought Imperial Blue was the answer.
Now I'm thinking about Cobalt Blue, and have seen a lovely elise example this morning.

Trouble is the chap at the garage was trying to persuade me to stick with the original colour of the car or at least the Lagoon Blue (with the silver roof). Now I'm unsure again and thinking about Lagoon Blue.

Please someone take the choice away; this is the most difficult decision to make of the whole restoration!

It's going to look fantastic whatever isn't it, but I have to make a decision asap - they're waiting to start spraying. :?
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:22 pm

I vote for green or yellow --- :D --ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 72plus2 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:04 am

Sean,

Blue is good choice, especially for a plus 2. 4 out of 5 of the plus 2s that I have seen are red. The others are almost all yellow. If you do decide on blue, then your car will look different from many others on the road. If your car was lagoon blue with a metal flake silver roof I would seriously consider going back to original. Good luck!

Chris
72plus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:40 am

I agree with Chris...if it's a nice blue as original keep it that way. It's a very personal thing the old originality debate, but colour for me is the main 'is it original?' check. Mind you, if it were one of those sandy / sludgy colours that appeared on some Lotii in the 60s and 70's I wouldn't hesitate in changing it to....anything else really.
My faves are the citrus trio...Lotus Yellow, Pistachio Lime Green and Colorado Orange, so proof if proof were needed that I'm no great authority on taste! Just livin' in the 70s......
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:41 pm

... If you don't or can't know or keep the original color ... then everything is possible .
The Elan +2 is not so sporty than the baby so I will recommand you never forget the importance of interior trim color (mainly are cream )
In your test always put a piece of the seat triming (and if you can have a look thru a glass if teinted , it 'll be better).
Metallic colors are very good on +2 , but if going for solid , choose a color formula with many compoments , the color 'll be deeper (Jaguar formulation type for exemple ).
Personnally , few years ago , I was very close to buy an original +2 dark metal blue , gold (metal flake) roof and cream inter and carpet ... dated but was a subtil mix of class & sportivity . I still think on such combination if ...
So the questions are : Really want to change ? if yes , what's color the interior , colored pipping or not , still thinking on blue , solid or metal?
If you have a response to these , you are not so far from ....
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:42 pm

Thanks for the responses. :)

The car was originally Red, in fact. It was sprayed a variant of lagoon blue in 1986, and if I could identify exactly what blue it was then that's what I'd have. The paint's all off now, so too late to match to. It was different to the standard Lagoon Blue - slightly darker.

I want to get a colour that 'fits' the era of the car, but at the same time, if possible, would like something unusual for a +2 - it's cost enough! The car will not be concourse, as I have already fitted a t9 gearbox and solid rear shafts, and will be having it trimmed with non standard seats etc.

I'd like a metallic blue, with a silvery undertone to it - I think this is referred to as mica.

I originally asked for the Lagoon Blue with the silver roof. We've decided not to go for the silver roof now - at least one decision!

Looking at the pictures in the book by Mike Taylor, the Lagoon Blue +2 in there is gorgeous. If I can find a colour very close to that, but slightly darker, with a bit more depth to it, then I'll be happy.

I've been looking at lots of variants on the web, but keep coming back to the lagoon blue.

I have posted some piccys to the gallery under 'alaric/what colour'. Maybe someone can confirm which is the original standard Lagoon Blue - hard to tell from piccys, but maybe someone knows the car that was at Stoneleigh a couple of years ago - really fantastic example!

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: