Wipers

PostPost by: John Larkin » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:16 pm

I have a 1968 Elan coupe. The wipers are hopeless --- slow and skipping. They are unsafe in the rain. I feel that they are going to fail soon.

Has anybody replaced an Elan's wiper mechanism completely --- wiper motor, drive mechanism, wheelboxes --- with a new modern system? I'm sure that there are motorsport wiper systems available if I only knew where to look. Is there a mechanical wizard who has adapted a system from a modern production car and would be willing to share his knowledge?

John Larkin
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:45 pm

John,

Not sure about adapting a modern system, but try <a href='http://www.nfauto.co.uk/wiper_kit.htm' target='_blank'>Car Builder Solutions</a>. The kit shown looks as though it should be more a less a direct replacement for the original

Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:09 pm

:) Hi! not sure about wizard,but i'm developing a complete replacement wiper set-up ,based on a modern motor, for the elan and plus2. I've successfully made one for e-type and xk150 jaguars,which we sell at work. After experiencing wipers on my plus2 (two speeds,slow and slower!) i thought i'd turn my attention from work to hobby. Will have to keep you posted,i'm rebuilding car completely.
cheers
Martin
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
Monty Python's The Life Of Brian,best film ever.
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:20 pm

John,

I agree about the wipers being less than adequate. I haven't but in a new sytem, but I do believe I have the original system greatly improved by the following modifications.

I started by putting in a new motor, cable, wheelboxes and arms. This was little better than what came out. This is in a Plus Two.

I fitted a Hella "Variwipe control" with a delay of a few seconds up to half a minute. This was a big improvement, as it was in light rain or merely wet road conditions that the wipers would most likely slow and stop.

I brought the power directly to the wiper motor, through relays operated by the control switches. The slow & stop functions go through a double pole relay, high through a single.

I fitted 13" blades instead of the original 16" to ease the load.

It's still a long way from being as fast or powerful as a modern system, but it is now 100% reliable.

A 2 litre wedge shaped wash tank from a BMW E30 sits over the fuse boxes, and doesn't run out on the motorways

Sean Murray
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:30 pm

I don't know about the +2 as I have a baby elan. However I have fitted a new motor, cable and wheel boxes as the original ones were just about at the end of their useful life. Great improvement with new standard components :D
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Petter Hval » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:23 pm

John,

Had the same problem with my 69 S4 last year.
Striped ewrything down and cleaned it with petrol to get rid
of 35 year old grease with no lubricants left. I then packed
the mechanism up with fresh coppergrease and replased it back
in the car. The result was incredible - pulls the wiper blades with
2 speeds on a dry screen.

Petter Hval
Petter Hval
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:09 pm

John,

I'll bet you still have a generator. One of the side benefits I noticed when I upgraded to an alternator was that the speed of both the wipers and windows doubled.

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:13 am

On the question of wipers...
Why are wipers for later Elans (S4 and Sprints) longer than those on earlier cars as the windscreen is not any bigger?

Was this due to global warming and wetter weather in the UK in the early 70's?

My wipers just hang off the side, the earlier and shoeter one's look neater.

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:52 pm

These guys can make up most things to do with wipers.
They might be a tad dear but they are good to deal with.

<a href='http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/' target='_blank'>http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/</a>

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:44 pm

Hi
Back in the eighties I replaced my motor with one from a morris marina - same shape different gear wheels - easy to change, then cleaned everything up as posts above. big difference! still lift off the screen at ninety tho'
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: