Re-upholstery advice please

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:54 pm

Hi everyone,
Quick question.
I'm just getting thoughts of a retrim. Can anyone recommend from first hand experience any re-upholsterers for classic elans, preferably in leather, where the end result has been very good. Thanks
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:50 am

I think your lack of responses may be that "leather" word. If you wish to convert an Elan to leather, I'd get three estimates from restoration shops and choose one.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:10 am

There is a guy advertising in club lotus magazine - 2 seater models ?595 +2 ?795! Also includes collection and delivery. I would like to see some of his work but if it is good it sounds very cheap to me.
Telephone 01202 300610 email [email protected]
I have no connection but I would be interested in comments if anyone has experience of his work.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: thor » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:09 pm

I agree, and yes someone please post some pictures of his work.
is this leather or vinyl?

cheers
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:03 pm

Leather. There must be ?250 worth of leather in a +2.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:22 pm

I have just spoken to the guy, Brian Cates. His phone number is now 01202 593067. He is based in Bournmouth and has mostly done mk2 Jags. He has done a few elans and is going to do a +2 for Andy at Spyder.
Seems like a nice guy. I shall certainly consider him when I am ready to do mine.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: barefoot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:28 pm

Well I went from this:
Via this:
To end up like this all in leather and top carpet inc headlining:
And the total came to ?2,200 which might seem a lot but everything from door panels dash seats rear parcel shelf is leather and all carpet is similar to Wilton. The trimmer did it all I dropped car off as in 1st photo. The leather looks reddish in pics but it is orange and looks good in the flesh. Local ex TVR man here in Blackpool one man band who is always booked up for months co called ACT, renowned for being one of the best!
barefoot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:33 pm

One of the +2s that turns up to the local club lotus meets has a leather interior, that I think was fitted by someone in Poole. I should be able to find out on Sunday; if work doesn't drag me off to London again as they are threatening to do at the moment - they just don't seem to understand that weekends are for sitting in a cold garage looking at a +2 jigsaw...

I'm actually very keen to get a leather interior too as part of the renovation that my +2 is going through. I live very close to Poole so if anyone's going to see the chap I'd appreciate feedback.

I've read that mx5 seats are worth fitting in place of the standard ones.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:57 pm

Looks like LOVERLY quality work, I might just go for something.... ehhmm.. a liiiiiiitle bit more understated.. hehehe :shock: :lol:

Cheers
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:21 am

MX5 seats or ??? There are a bunch of choices for a +2. I'd try and find a French seat if I was in Europe, I can't think of a more comfortable seat country of origin. The Elan seats are MUCH smaller and narrower, has anyone found a newer replacement for them?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Hmmm, Yes I had expected a bit more info but perhaps not many have needed or wanted to retrim. It's just that I don't anyone who's had a retrim done on a +2 or even on any car at all! It would obviously be best to use someone who has done a +2 as they have the first hand experience to be able to produce the best result. Do you have any contact number or address for ACT please and I'll follow these leads up.
Please let me know what the workmanship of the Poole outfit is like once you've checked that one out.
Thanks everyone. Will check the thread again over the weekend.[/quote]
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: