S4 Windshield installation ?

PostPost by: pamitchell » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:51 pm

Does the dash cover need to come off in order to remove/install new w/s?
If so, how is it attached?
TIA
Phil Mitchell
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:11 pm

Phil if you mean the crashpad? - the black bit over the top of the dash, the answer is no it doesn't need to come off and removing it would not help.

Just for info' it is stuck onto the fibreglass
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I meant crashpad.
Who was it that said England & America are two countries separated by a common language!
Rgds,Phil
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: poiuyt » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:12 am

I was recently told that you will have less trouble changing the windshield if you loosen the spoke-type windshield in the center of the windshield. I have yet to change mine (it needs it, though, after 35 years of being sandblasted here on Long Island) and have no first-hand experience, but this will supposedly allow more play in the frame during installation.

Remember to retighten it when done.

Steve B
1969 S4
Steve B.<br>1969 Elan S4
poiuyt
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:19 pm

Hi Phil, when I replaced the windscreen rubber on my coupe, like yours, I left the dash pad on. The plastic trim that fit on the windshield upright columns are very brittle and their edges fit under the rubber seal, tricky to do without breaking them. I broke mine and still have not replaced them. I think Marc Fuller may have made up new stronger trim pieces. I used the portion at the dash that was still good that didn't fit under the rubber seal and carpeted the columns. It looks good enough that I have not fixed it yet. I'll send you pictures. Maybe I can trade Marc for a spinner removal tool. Let's talk and I can give you some helpful hints and lookout fors.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:23 pm

Thanks Sarto
Good tip on the trim pieces. Mine are in great condition.
I'm looking for a few good men to help with the windshield install.
Interested?
Phil

quote="mac5777"]Hi Phil, when I replaced the windscreen rubber on my coupe, like yours, I left the dash pad on. The plastic trim that fit on the windshield upright columns are very brittle and their edges fit under the rubber seal, tricky to do without breaking them. I broke mine and still have not replaced them. I think Marc Fuller may have made up new stronger trim pieces. I used the portion at the dash that was still good that didn't fit under the rubber seal and carpeted the columns. It looks good enough that I have not fixed it yet. I'll send you pictures. Maybe I can trade Marc for a spinner removal tool. Let's talk and I can give you some helpful hints and lookout fors.

Sarto[/quote]
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Phil, I would be happy to help. I did mine with the help of Bob Groat, the lotus paint and body guy. You will need two, a third can only cheer us on with a little soapy water. What is your schedule?

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: