Boot (trunk) catch

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:32 pm

Hey everybody

Does anyone have a sketch or a photo of how the boot catch goes back together? I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to put it back :?

I was well chuffed with myself after I fitted a Lumenition ignition to the +2 and got it started so thought I would adjust the boot catch as it was always a bit rubbish. So I loosened off the boot catch bolts to adjust it and the captive nuts underneath fell out :x

So now I have removed the panels to get to the back of the nuts but can not figure how it goes back.

I have the workshop manual but it is not in it.

On a plus point the Lumenition was easy and the car starts much better now :)

Any help would be great

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Kets » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:39 pm

Hi Jason

I seem to remember a bit about boot catches on the forum before, I think its a common problem.

Try using the search box at the top of the page, I think you will find quite a bit of info.

KETS
Kets
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:07 pm

Jason,

I posted a picture of my boot catch a while back but I can't find it now - I'll try and dig it out a bit later. I did exactly the same as you though and when I did get the catch back together properly I found that it was a bugger to adjust!

From memory you need to assemble it so that the plate which the cable connects to is free to move when you operate the boot release cable, and the raised 'lip' prevents it from moving too far back when you release the cable. The problem is that if you get the adjustment wrong you can't open the boot again (guess how I know?) so be careful..!

What worked for me was to adjust the cable carefully so that the holes in the catch were lined up such that the boot lid plunger would go in and out again without 'catching'. Then gradually back off the adjustment on the catch until the plunger is held when you close the boot lid. Make small adjustments and keep checking that the cable will still open the lid!

Good luck
Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:40 pm

Simon

I saw your old post before I posted but as you point out the catch is fitted incorrectly :(

Did you ever fit it correctly and take photos???

As you said and as I remember the whole mechanism should be under the panel. There are three plates of which I believe the bottom one should be the one containing the captive nuts, the other two I have tried around various ways but the cable jams :cry:

For such a simple thing it is very confusing. It was jamming before I played with it and is a bit bend. So it may be that I am putting it back correctly but it is NFG??

I am looking forward to it jamming closed and have to remove the rear seat, after have just refitting it :D

Does anyone know if the mechanism can be bought new??

Thanks anyway, let me know if anyone has pics.

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:20 am

......what's behind the rear seat?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:15 pm

Cheers Si, I know the fuel tank will also have to come out :cry:

Not really something I want to contemplate doing outside in the rain!

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:10 pm

I was putting the catch back correctly :D

It was just that it was bent and when you tighten the bolts up there was no gap for the plate to slide.

A bash with a big hammer and a couple of thin flat washers later and it works lovely. :lol:

These jobs are much easier in the daylight.

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:13 am

1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: