Painting brackets etc

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:36 pm

Hi all.

I need to paint an assortment of brackets for my plus 2. I'm looking for a very solid finish that won't scrape off. Things like the little bracket that holds the speedo drive in place, the dirt plate between the engine and gearbox, the beam that goes between the two suspension uprights at the rear - forget what it's called. Most of the other bits are done, and things like seatbelt plates I can get powder coated.

Can anyone advise? I know that powder coating is an option, but I'd like to find a spraycan or compressor / spraygun solution that I can do in my own garage - I have all the kit, just don't know which paint to use.

Thanks.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:44 am

Sean, I found the Rustoleum finishes to be very durable. I've used Smoke Grey on the chassis and it has held up for over 20 years. I've also used Gloss black and Semi gloss. Avoid Krylon. IMO, its not durable at all; chips easily,

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Evan Carpenter-Crawford » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:35 pm

Are the brackets stripped back to bare metal?

By far the best way to get a solid, long lasting finish is to take the parts down to bare metal, making sure they are completely cleaned of any oil or sanding residue before applying a good quality metal etching primer. after that you can seal-prime and color coat to finish.

Having an absolutely clean surface and using a metal etching primer ensures the best possible bond of the paint to the metal.

-Evan
1969 fhc
Evan Carpenter Crawford
1969 FHC 8624
Evan Carpenter-Crawford
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:26 pm

If you are just looking for a good rust resistant paint finish and are not worried about the colour try and get hold of Gavafroid.

This is a Zinc based cold galvanising paint that will become a sacrificial anode when it comes to rusting.

You should be able to purchase it from any good electrical wholesalers.

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try and find some metal etching primer and an appropriate seal primer to make sure I get a long lasting finish. I think I used some zinc based paint on the underside of an old mini of mine many years ago - it was a left over tin from the naval base where I was working at the time. It was very effective - trouble is I didn't have much, and the rest of the car still rusted. I haven't a clue where to find it. I'll make some enquiries tomorrow.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: