Door Panel Rebuild

PostPost by: robb4100 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:06 am

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am building new door panels for my elan S2. As I try to fit the panels I noticed that the previous owner had installed a rubber gasket/weather stripping in a place that seemed odd. Could someone please send/post a picture of the inside of the door and panel. In particular the back half of the door panel from the door handle/latch down to the floor.

I believe that the chrome strip along the window channel should be showing. window mechanism has the rubber strip between the windo channel and the door. The rubber prevents the chrome strip from being seen, looks out of place and I can't find it in the parts list. Should it be there?

Sorry but I do not have a digital camera to be able to show a picture.

Robb
dumb current owner
1965 S2
robb4100
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:42 am

Robb - the rear (and front) chrome window channel should be able to be seen. Mine had no rubber between the window channel and the door itself. The upper door panel slides into a 1/8" (1-2mm) trim channel that is part of the window channel. I have a digital picture I will try to post if I can figure out how to do it. To be safe, send me your address. My email is [email protected]
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robb4100 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:55 pm

Thanks Paul,

I sent you the email address. I do not know how to post a picture to this site so I cannot help there.
dumb current owner
1965 S2
robb4100
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:10 am

Robb,

You can't post a picture directly to this site (unless anyone else knows differently?). You can, however, add a link to a picture which already exists on another site by clicking the IMG button when adding a post on this site and pasting in a link to your pic.

Here's a pic of my Plus 2, which I've sneaked onto to my Sisters photography site that I'm building at the moment to illustrate the concept!

Simon

simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robb4100 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:26 am

Thanks Simon! I cannot say enough about the members of this forum. You are all so very helpful! Is your lotus an original factory color? If so which one?

As for posting pictures I may finally need to get a photo archive website.

Robb
dumb current owner
1965 S2
robb4100
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:31 am

Hi Robb,

It's French Blue, which was an original factory colour, except that I went for Jaguar French Blue from HMG paints in Manchester (very helpful) - for no other reason than they couldn't reference the Lotus colour codes that I had at the time. It's apparently the colour used by Triumph / Jaguar / BMC in the 60's and 70's and the Lotus french blue is very similar (if not the same).

I'm very pleased with it as it was my first attempt at painting, carried out over the summer in my dusty garage - although time will tell if I managed to keep the shell dry enough..

Cheers,
Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: