PostPost by: 2mAn » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:17 am

Absolute gem
-Simon
2mAn
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: zog » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:10 am

Thanks!

If you know anyone looking for an Elan, please let them know. This one is very nice.

Thanks,

zog
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:13 am

Credit to you , Sir.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:58 pm

Not only has he done a spectacular job, as usual, but he has made some reversible mods that make this a greatly improved and usable Elan for modern conditions. Alternator, gear reduction starter, C/V joints and a breathed upon engine are all positive improvements to my mind. But it is not quire perfect, Just as any drill sergeant will find something to nitpick to prevent recruits from getting a pass, I have found a couple of things :D

I would never say this in the BaT comments but I feel as though this is a safe haven for the knowledgeable. Bob ...the sill flange should be painted black! It is not as critical on a dark color but on this light blue it is. And the filler strip between the front bumper and body is missing. I don't have one either as it kept coming loose so I'll cal that a restorer's choice. That's it unless the battery cutoff switch annoys some purist. I think practicality overrides any complaint here.

So, in summary, Kurt is right...it is spectacular!!!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:31 pm

Ross Robbins wrote:Not only has he done a spectacular job, as usual, but he has made some reversible mods that make this a greatly improved and usable Elan for modern conditions. Alternator, gear reduction starter, C/V joints and a breathed upon engine are all positive improvements to my mind. But it is not quire perfect, Just as any drill sergeant will find something to nitpick to prevent recruits from getting a pass, I have found a couple of things :D

I would never say this in the BaT comments but I feel as though this is a safe haven for the knowledgeable. Bob ...the sill flange should be painted black! It is not as critical on a dark color but on this light blue it is. And the filler strip between the front bumper and body is missing. I don't have one either as it kept coming loose so I'll cal that a restorer's choice. That's it unless the battery cutoff switch annoys some purist. I think practicality overrides any complaint here.

So, in summary, Kurt is right...it is spectacular!!!

I agree, Ross. He has built a superb driveable car that anyone would be proud to own. Someone is going to be enjoying a beautiful little car very soon.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:02 am

I've seen Bob's restorations and I know he takes great pride with making the nose match up to the
bumper so tight that the strip is not needed, for the very purpose Ross mentions. I suppose one could
take the car to an airbrush artist and have a strip painted on :-)
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zog » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:06 am

Thanks for the positive comments. If the winning bidder wants the lower sill painted black, I will paint it for them.

Thanks!

zog
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mwhitaker » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:38 pm

Zog strikes again-what a beautiful job. If I didn't already have my French Blue 69 S4 DHC I would be buying this-top quality resto for one future lucky owner. Even the body color sills look great and the front bumper fit is crazy tight. Congrats again- hope you get deserved top $.

Totally jealous yours,
Mark Whitaker
mwhitaker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:55 am

Just been through the photo gallery, beautiful!
Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:58 pm

Beautiful Zog. Can you talk about the color and your choice for using it? How close would you say is this to French blue? Is the paint code available for French blue?
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: zog » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:24 am

The color is actually a 1969-70 Ford Mustang Grabber Blue. I tried to find something close to the Medici blue that I knew would have a paint code available for a long time. It is not the same code as the new Mustang grabber blue. The new Mustang grabber blue is too bright and over the top in my eyes

The color is actually a bit deeper in color than what many of the pictures show. The camera picks up the sunlight and makes it look light. If you put the car in the shade or inside it looks really nice. At lease in my eyes.

The auction ends today a little after 4pm Central time. I'm hoping for two rich people to fight it out for the winning bid.

Thanks for all the positive comments! I am humbled!
zog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:29 pm

Wow, 81,000 $ US!

Well done Mr Herzog!

It is worth logging on to read the very amusing comments on the sale.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:47 am

Congrats.

Guess the wife won't be complaining about your hobby....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:11 am

I echo the WOW!!

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: