Lotus Elan

67 pre airflow

PostPost by: 2mAn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:25 pm

Slowtus wrote:I would go on the assumption that the motor needs a COMPLETE rebuild and go from there, work out the cost(s) involved and then...

I would also go on the assumption that EVERYTHING needs, at best, some TLC.

Look, take notes, come up with a budget (which you can/will double/triple later :D ) and off you go.

Good assumptions, and honestly the cost of the motor rebuild is likely why I will skip the motor and buy the roller. Doubling the assumed budget costs is a standard haha
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:05 pm

I think the missing bit of information for us (or maybe just me) to comment is the cost of just the roller. I can understand you not supplying it based on the ongoing negotiations you are having.
The original ebay ask was 8k. If I start with that, and 10k is the agreed package price, I would probably buy the package and roll the dice. Lotus twincams aren't cheap. I think replica heads are now over 4K(?) bare. Does it come with carbs, distributor, etc? Can you pull the valve cover and have a look for anything obviously wrong?
As for acceptable replacements, there are quite a few options. Ford period kent engines, newer ford Zetec, Duratec, Toyota twin cams, and on and on. I'd personally go Zetec if my engine bay was empty to start and I couldn't find a reasonable LTC. All of the options will require mods to fit, engine management if injected, tuning, custom exhaust, etc....
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:45 pm

I dont mind sharing. I havent discussed the vehicle cost because I think its silly to do before seeing the car in person, but yea $8k was the eBay asking. The motor without the car is a $2500 asking. $10k for both.

No Carbs, but I will have a set of Weber 40s from my Alfa once its new EFI motor goes in. I will post the pics of the engine once they are all uploaded to my Flickr acct. Its about 16 pics. He did mention the downside is that one of the carb mounts broke and was epoxied back on. That is one of many reasons I kinda want to pass and try and get the roller for less (would it make sense to try and leave the 4-speed with him?)
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:25 pm

$2500 Weber Twin Cam pics.

Engine #

Ports

This one is the broke & "fixed" port

Last edited by 2mAn on Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:18 pm

Hello Simon.
First of all I was posting my reply about shipping to a question earlier from someone about shipping a car from your side of the US or in fact anywhere in the US, so if contemplating such a purchase they can get quotes.

As to the engine, I personally would buy it, the broken inlet manifold repair, I came across several of these during the 1960's or where they were broken across the stud holes. Being aluminium based these heads can be repaired from damage far worse than this. I have seen heads with half the compression chamber missing and the throats badly damaged, that have been successfully repaired, so don't be put off by that. Again I might well have this repaired properly with an alum weld for peace of mind. Secondly the engine will always sell on to someone at likely more than you will pay, so you can take that option later if you feel like it. It could also be split up and the parts sold separately and again you are likely to get more than your money back.

I personally would talk to a local engine builder, preferably someone who knows about Lotus twincams, I would be asking them to check it over with the possibility of bench starting the engine to check it out. Without knowing a little more about the history of its build it is going to be difficult to comment, but if it has been put together with any degree of competence then it may well run without issue and you have the basis for a nice genuine Elan.

Putting this engine back in will be the easier option than installing something else where you might have to adapt or make parts to get it to fit, plus you may need to change the gearbox again depending on what engine is installed, all things you would not need to do if you put back a Lotus twincam.

So I hope that gives you some food for thought and at the figures you have quoted I think you won't lose money.
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:22 pm

Thanks Tony, I appreciate the advice
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ChrisD » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:43 pm

Hello Simon,

I took a new Zetec for my 26r clone. This works very well of course and has lots of power without trouble.
But in my case this was not cheaper than using and rebuilding my Lotus engine that I still have.
If you want to make the installation proper, it is a lot of work and money.
For a rebuild to original condition I would prefer to take and rebuild the Lotus engine.

Regards Christian
ChrisD
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:28 am

ChrisD wrote:Hello Simon,

I took a new Zetec for my 26r clone. This works very well of course and has lots of power without trouble.
But in my case this was not cheaper than using and rebuilding my Lotus engine that I still have.
If you want to make the installation proper, it is a lot of work and money.
For a rebuild to original condition I would prefer to take and rebuild the Lotus engine.

Regards Christian

Hi Christian

I think the safe solution is Ford Motors it seems... Im curious if you could share a ballpark of costs? I tried to get an idea of what a full-scale rebuild would be on the Twin-Cam. Call it a worst-case scenario...

Sadly my logical side is seeing that this could be me getting myself into a situation where Im biting off more than I can chew. It also tempts me to float the idea of selling my Alfa Romeo Giulia Super, which just typing it has me thinking that it may not be the smartest idea. I havent even finished half of what I wanted to accomplish with it... However, I also underestimated the rust and after dealing with the rear corner and still having both rocker panels to deal with, I feel like mechanical resto's are more my bag than rust repair... who knows.
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ChrisD » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:18 pm

Hi Simon,

For Zetec parts Information visit raceline, retroford, spydercars.
I took a new engine that I got for about 900.- pounds.
But then it goes on (Some parts I took or changed):
Alloy oil sump, flywheel and clutch, exhaust headers, programmable Ignigion, inlet manifold for carbs, engine mounts, making space in front frame crossmember for zetec crank pulley.....
I assume you can't make it for less than 4000.- pounds.
This means you are able to build as much as possible by yourself.
I took many raceline patts, the nice bda cam cover, dta ignition...
I didn't count exactly but it must have been well 8000.- pounds for my engine all in all wit new parts.

Take the Lotus engine, the head can be welded, and after all the car is original.

Regards Christian
ChrisD
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:31 pm

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967- ... -coupe-11/

Im sure he will get more than the $10k he wanted from me... bummer
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:54 pm

Was checking in with Carl to see if the sale went through... this one is heading back to Europe. Bordeaux specifically.

-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:08 pm

Well done Coudert.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:52 pm

The pictures don't show up here. Do you need to make them public-ally viewable on Flicker or is Flicker just plain refusing to serve pictures to non-Flicker websites?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:09 pm

billwill wrote:The pictures don't show up here. Do you need to make them public-ally viewable on Flicker or is Flicker just plain refusing to serve pictures to non-Flicker websites?

Is the final pic of the car on the trailer showing up? I actually deleted the album so some of the car and engine pics I posted earlier are gone. Oddly enough it shows up for me, but who knows
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: