Lotus Elan

67 pre airflow

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:15 am

nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:28 pm

I can't believe this project doesn't have a single bid yet. It needs an engine and a radiator, but it looks like this was a very nice Elan a few years ago..

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:55 pm

Agreed, sure does look like it’s in fair shape.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Location: RACECAR spelled backward, is——RACECAR! The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:21 pm

From past experience I believe that most Elan buyers don't start bidding till the time is down to less than 60 seconds! :roll:

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:25 pm

I'd have it but I'm in the UK
What does it cost to get an Elan from where it is in the USA to the docks in England ?
greg40green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:37 pm

This car has been on and off ebay for a couple of months. No bidders.
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:36 pm

greg40green wrote:I'd have it but I'm in the UK
What does it cost to get an Elan from where it is in the USA to the docks in England ?

No answers or suggestions to get it from the USA to the UK ?
greg40green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:19 pm

I am given to understand that shipping charges have gone up 10 x since the pandemic started. If that is the case, a container used to cost approx £1500 to cross from the States, will now cost circa £15,000. FWIW

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:53 pm

First you would have to get it out of LA. By sea may be easiest. I wouldn't relish towing a trailer in that traffic.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danielmo » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:02 pm

Being a non-runner, no brakes, loose parts, etc., it would be very expensive to ship. It's not like a RORO, which used to be about 1500-2000 to ship (absolutely no idea about prices now).
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:39 pm

I was trying to get this and as Im in Los Angeles I made several attempts to see the car in person before bidding but never got any responses. I still hope he reaches out to me at some point as its exactly what I would love to build. a FHC, not a mint, original car but alas with no communication, it got no bids from me. He also had a SCCA Europa racecar thing for sale which got one bid, but didnt appear to sell.

Fingers crossed, and if it works out I will need a LOT of help from you guys sorting it out
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:09 am

Just an update on this car.

I’ve been fairly relentless in trying to get the seller contact info, and I finally have it. I’m going to go look at this next week hopefully. He also has a Weber head motor he is looking to sell. My guess is he got this stuff a while ago, but doesn’t have time to actually restore it.

My question to the group is that, if I pass on the twin cam motor he has what are acceptable replacements when there actually IS a budget to stick to. No Jay Leno aluminum block motors here... I had an initial idea, but I’m curious what other options are available
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:37 pm

I think there are people on BaT that advertise shipping to the UK, I used ShipmyCar in the UK about six years ago, to bring over an E type from California and they were pretty good, looked after everything in terms of paperwork and documents, customs etc, perhaps worth a call to find out as current rates will have changed, but at the time not as expensive as you might think.
https://www.shipmycar.co.uk/

Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Hi Tony,

Im actually local to the car so no shipping needed, just a tow.

The Weber-head motor seems to have good compression according to the seller, and an 'all-in' package of car and motor would be $10k...

That would essentially be the price for a complete car needing resto. Seems like a decent deal to me, but the motor worries me.

What are some items I can look for to give me a better idea of the condition of the motor?
-Simon
2mAn
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:10 pm

2mAn wrote:Hi Tony,

Im actually local to the car so no shipping needed, just a tow.

The Weber-head motor seems to have good compression according to the seller, and an 'all-in' package of car and motor would be $10k...

That would essentially be the price for a complete car needing resto. Seems like a decent deal to me, but the motor worries me.

What are some items I can look for to give me a better idea of the condition of the motor?

I would go on the assumption that the motor needs a COMPLETE rebuild and go from there, work out the cost(s) involved and then...

I would also go on the assumption that EVERYTHING needs, at best, some TLC.

Look, take notes, come up with a budget (which you can/will double/triple later :D ) and off you go.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: