Lotus Elan

Tyres

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:44 pm

One thing that is very important in tire/tyre sizes is the model of Elan. Early models S1 and S2 can't fit the larger sizes of the S3 and S4. Also here in America 145-13 size is getting hard to find unless you are okay with some econo brand. Thank goodness we can get the CN36.
Fred Talmadge
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:58 pm

Easy Peasy

https://www.lucasclassictires.com/145HR ... 45r13L.htm

Having said that, if Lucas is currently out of stock, it wont last long. They have more on their way.

The world of international shipping has gone to bedlam. There have been all sorts of difficulties with the supply of all tyres, but we are getting on top of that.

All being well we will have a 165R13 CN36 soon for the +2 cars. there is a glimmer of hope i might get these in December. then i'm hoping that i will receive a 155HR13 CA67 next year, but this has all just been too tricky with countries and factories neing locked down, container ships parked at sea because there isn't enough warehouse space or lorry drivers to deal with all the 40' containers that are on them. It's a world gone mad.
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:15 pm

I also greatly appreciate the availability of these classic tires and the suppliers and retailers that provide them to us.

I didn't realize Dougal enjoys being belligerent. I don't so I'll no longer discuss his opinions

TomR
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: joe7 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:08 pm

TBG He's not belligerent he's selling HIS tires!
joe7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:57 pm

Hey Joe - I didn't say he was belligerent!! I think he knows what he is talking about but after 55 years of playing with Elans I think I probably make valid points also!! D

Elan S3 SAR 370D (6).jpg and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:46 am

I went for a set of Pirelli CN36 for my +2 ( i will do tests on the S4 as well), wont get to try till spring though.
Ive been searching on every Canadian web site and tyre distributors, and retail for 10+ years. There is next to nothing available here, or about 5 choices. Also my guess is tyre manufacturing wont be making too many more 13”. Ive been told by the Western, Cooper and Hankook reps they only want to make 18’s 19’s and 20’s because thats what on all new vehicles.

1 Cheap Chinese, maybe they have quality control. Maybe you do get some sort of warranty with the reseller-not my experience. $80

2 Tyres made for minivans etc $100. Fine for highway I suppose. But, where are the stats on original vs modern. I suspect tyre compounds/materials are something other nowadays. My guess with this, and I suspect someone will chime in. There are a good many articles from the 70’s about the progress of compounds/materials. At the time in the 70’s, manufacturers were still fighting to make a good/best tyre for the elan. This includes compounds/materials.
If anyone knows of a compound/material that would be interesting. I am sure they are harder and stronger these days. Which is why I trusted Pirelli and Longstone for one set which will be on original 5.5 13” steel wheels, because they should be trying to keep the compounds similar.

3 top quality winter tyres $120, for me. The water dissipating characteristics outweigh all the advantages I could find on available all season tyres. Also, the winters should be more soft.

4 the most expensive and likely sticky, some top tier tyres like Toyo 888 $165 (pretty sure there was a $10 delivery fee not included)

5 CN36 was a bit more $170 (delivered to the Interior of BC!), but they are original. For those here preaching “keep it stock”, there is nothing more to me than the tyres.

I hope Dougal can post some Pirelli info about compounds, or a comparison between 70’s and 20’s please, or anyone else for that matter!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:34 am

dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:19 pm

There doesn't appear any doubt that the CN36 is a very fine tyre. Personally I would fit it in 165 guise rather than 155, if either were available.
I run 185 CR6ZZs on the GTS and they are magnificent ( when not racing with Dunlop historics)
On the S4 I currently have 165/70 13 rain experts. They are very average at best. The wet grip is reasonable which is the saving grace.
The suspension and geo are being refreshed on the S4 and I would happily change to XAS FF or Pirelli's but maintaining a slightly wider than standard width.
In a recent Silverstone race the non AppK elans were added to our race and the Yokohamas (low profile 13") were about 1.5 secs a lap quicker than the historic Dunlops.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:04 pm

Dougal, you are a gem! Please keep putting your opinion out there. You term yourself “belligerent,” but I would call you “insistent,” “informative,” and “entertaining,”

I am currently running Vredestein Sprint+ (I think there’s a “+”) 155 HR 13 on my S4. I like that they are H rated, but do not like the somewhat sudden break-away characteristics. I have read other forum members whom I trust say they improved their S4’s fast road handling considerably (i.e., made it more predictable and fun) going to 155 Michelin XAS. I am probably going to do that myself shortly.

BUT…when you mentioned the XAS earlier in this post, you said 155 R 13. Are XAS no longer H rated?

Thanks for taking the time and energy to respond!

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:42 pm

^ +1

Like said before, a large company like Pirelli is highly trustworthy.
Not so sure about Blockley or Vredestein.
But I have had new Pirelli ply separate too, warranty was fine. Not so for the sales network of the cheapies. I would suspect Dougal and Pirelli would be just fine.
I would also attest to Michelin, same for Pirelli for giving a longer life. Maybe I just had a couple bad experiences with two sets of each Yokohama, Bridgestone and Toyo in that order, worst to best.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:58 pm

Just to be clear, Dougal said he liked to be belligerent in apparent response to my comment about wide tires and camber control.

I appreciate his history and knowledge and would never suggest he shouldn't share his opinion. I just said I wouldn't argue about them

I've actually been thinking about some CN36s as my old Kuhmos Esctas are hard as a rock

Apologize to Dougal and the forum if I sounded like a d**k.

TomR
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:18 am

jbeach wrote:Dougal, you are a gem! Please keep putting your opinion out there. You term yourself “belligerent,” but I would call you “insistent,” “informative,” and “entertaining,”

I am currently running Vredestein Sprint+ (I think there’s a “+”) 155 HR 13 on my S4. I like that they are H rated, but do not like the somewhat sudden break-away characteristics. I have read other forum members whom I trust say they improved their S4’s fast road handling considerably (i.e., made it more predictable and fun) going to 155 Michelin XAS. I am probably going to do that myself shortly.

BUT…when you mentioned the XAS earlier in this post, you said 155 R 13. Are XAS no longer H rated?

Thanks for taking the time and energy to respond!

-John

Cheers John for your kind words.

And TomR i don't think apologies are nesecary on a forum, we are all just on here to enjoy our hobbies (except for the occasional blood sucking leach trader).

I mean this in a nice way - but i think the Vredestein look utterly dreadful. Buying tyres isn't really about fashion, but the Pirelli and Michelin look right and handle great. The Vredestein looks dreadful, and handle alrightish. I dont think the Vredestein is a terrible tyre. They are at least built with some consideration for the chassis they will be fitted to. but they aren't as good as the Michelin or Pirelli. let me put it this way; A few years ago, when they were cheap as chips, to me, they made sense as an alright budget tyre for people who mind having the word "classic" written in some stupid font on the side of their classic car. I personally have taken 2 classic cars off Vredestein and fitted XAS (before Pirelli were in the market) and the difference was like light and day. John you are in for a treat when you get the XAS on the side wall

Yes the XAS is still H rated.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/ ... as-ff.html

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page it should give you all sorts of specifications for the tyre.

How about anothe racing film made i made with my kids a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jFqB4M ... kh&index=2
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:36 pm

TomR wrote:...
I've actually been thinking about some CN36s as my old Kuhmos Esctas are hard as a rock
TomR

At times I have wished for a good set of old, dry, hard tires, as then a full measure of fun can be had at legal speeds!

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mwhitaker » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:00 pm

Thanks again Dougal for your input-nice to have a classic tyre comparison test for review. Still love the XAS FF on my 69 Elan, they look and feel just right. I figure I will get 10 yrs out of them driving 800-1000 miles/yr before they age too much. Having a CN36 in 155/80-13 would be great as an alternate choice.

Cheers, Mark Whitaker
69 Elan S4 DHC
45/8396
mwhitaker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Well John, the old Kumhos are indeed fun if you like heading to the ditch frontwise or rearwise everytime you press on a pedal. But they at least let me sort out the engine, tranny and diff after a decade of modifications.

Happy to donate them if you can use a 175/60-13 and they don't crack when I take them off the rim:-)

TomR
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: