Lotus Elan

73 +2 S130 FS in Mass USA, and a story

PostPost by: gus » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:09 pm

So, an ad on the local craigslist[Mass USA] for an Eclat with a rover v8 nearby got be interested. Especially when one of the pics showed a familiar front end suspended above it.

So, a story:
In 1980 I had an Opel GT, my first car. It needed some engine work, and a local rod shop had popped up down the street, and they sent the head out for work. I would go down and chat with them as any red blooded 18 year old car guy would. One day a car pulled up, and we all gawked, although it was a bit tatty. All I remembered was it was orange, with a gold roof. He told us a funny story about a cop not giving him a speeding ticket because he liked the car, and off he went.
Four years later I ended up buying an Elan +2 even though I wanted a Europa. Some years later I realized that orange with a gold roof was standard for an S130, and that car was a +2

Fast forward 41 years, and I am standing,err underneath this +2 and tell the owner this story
He replies that he bought the car in about 1982 from a guy in that area, who worked at a company the next town over.
So, there it is very likely the exact car I have been telling a funny story about for over 40 years.
plus2b.jpg and
rear

The Eclat is listed on the Boston area craigslist for 4000USD, +2 is available, owner is most interested that they go somewhere and do not get lost, although the money is important also.....
I have more pics, of both cars. Engine/trans out of +2 probably incomplete, but most major bits should be there
+2c.jpg and
Attachments
+2a.jpg and
front
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: danielmo » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:12 pm

Were they selling the +2 at the same time?

The Eclat looks pretty rough. No mention of what engine is currently in it.
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:19 pm

He is losing storage so everything must go

Rover V8 is a pretty popular conversion. Eclat is in the same condition most of them are in, pretty dusty so hard to be specific

And again, as with the +2 he has at least most of the original engine
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:21 pm

I do have his contact info if anyone is interested in either vehicle
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JeffP » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:23 pm

I would be interested in the elan plus2. I'm new to the forum how do I get the contact info?
JeffP
New-tral

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:36 pm

JeffP wrote:I would be interested in the elan plus2. I'm new to the forum how do I get the contact info?

Jeff, the easiest way to contact him is a private message or PM. I believe you have to have posted four or five times for this forum feature to work though. Perhaps just post a couple of ‘bump’ posts to this thread to see if this activates the PM feature.

Another method to try is to quote the original post in the thread and ask your contact question. I believe the act of quotation will send an automatic PM to the forum member you quote. Just for curiosity, let us know if you get a PM as I quoted you.

HTH. Where in Canada? I know a couple of folks are looking for good projects. Best of luck in your search. They are great fun cars.

Stu in Steak Town, where you can get a fillet any time, day or night
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JeffP » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:14 am

Thanks for your help.

I'm in Ottawa. Would prefer to buy a car in Canada to avoid the cross-border hassle etc. So I'm still looking.
JeffP
New-tral

Total Online: