PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:09 pm

'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:32 pm

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:11 am

1owner69Elan wrote:https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/118742/lotus-elan-speedster-body-and-chassis?fbclid=IwAR0LcLU7ZFHH795irvdnOfGNc6kk3DD8h-brrgQ8uLlqUiWX_2GeibnApFw

£7,850 really? even without drivetrain that seems good...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:50 am

they point out

"total cost for the parts and modifications was around 13k inc vat"
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sabbot » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:56 am

I love what retropower do and the concept of the speedster, but does anybody else think that a ~350bhp / 250lb-ft torque Millington will just overpower the 26R chassis and cause a lot of flex that the nice lightweight body shell won’t like?
sabbot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:44 am

Love the idea that the shell was 'factory fitted', rather than a bloke in a shed.
I imagine that the Millie was sold separately.
I agree that 350bhp would be lively and suspect Retropower had plans for the chassis , drive train and brakes which I would have enjoyed watching. As for too much power? Depends on how much of it could be put down. No doubt they would have used the sequential they used in the Alfa, which would only be a couple of hundred kilos more and looks very driveable. Indeed, was it the 350hp Millie or a 2.0 lesser powered one....
Shame.
The chassis is useable but who else has the 'vision' of building a speedster ( calling Vaughan)?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:50 am

661 wrote:Love the idea that the shell was 'factory fitted', rather than a bloke in a shed.
I imagine that the Millie was sold separately.
I agree that 350bhp would be lively and suspect Retropower had plans for the chassis , drive train and brakes which I would have enjoyed watching. As for too much power? Depends on how much of it could be put down. No doubt they would have used the sequential they used in the Alfa, which would only be a couple of hundred kilos more and looks very driveable. Indeed, was it the 350hp Millie or a 2.0 lesser powered one....
Shame.
The chassis is useable but who else has the 'vision' of building a speedster ( calling Vaughan)?

obviously they have not gone very far with the project... maybe someone got struck by common sense?

https://retropower.co.uk/2020/07/03/elan-speedster/

Nice as the line might become of such a project, this certainly will need the right buyer to get going ... or the right price.

at least a good legit elan has not been butchered for that vision.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:39 pm

Retropower do some interesting things, but this is literally "over the top" as the doors have been glassed into the shell . This seems to be close to irreversible for normal mortals.

It does seem to be an extreme way to stop the doors popping out!

I suspect that it will end up being split up and the front and rear ends will end up grafted to race cars or in an auction.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:55 pm

Not only have the doors (outer shell only) been bonded to the shell, it also has no lattice frames, which even with the door glassed as they have not inner moulding would leave that part of the shell rather flexible!!!

I was interested but the more I look, I've also formed the view that I'd essentially be buying a very expensive chassis and a shell as a donor for repairs.

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:31 am

FHS, why all the criticism?

I doubt very much that this project was put up for sale to attract a flat cap punter looking for a plod-along-project to make a road going Elan. The clue is one word in the title - 'speedster'. This is a project for one aim and only one - quick sprinting.

I do not know how much the intended engine would cost, but if someone had the money, then I see a lot of fun to be had ahead.... :mrgreen:
Hal Adams

Evora - the poser
Elan +2 - keeps me busy
Macan - hers
Felicia Pickup - my favourite
HCA
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:39 am

Millie's cost about the same as a race T/C built from new components, ie not much change from £25k
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: eskamobob1 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:22 pm

Wow. Thats actualy a lot less than I expected for the engine. As for the doors being bonded in, I kinda like it

Would be nice if they were cut down a dash to help a bit like old blower Bentleys though. As for the strength, ofc you need less material for the same stiffness if you dont cut out a massive u section from each side of the car.... my money is on this body being much more rigid than normal door frame or not
eskamobob1
New-tral

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:59 pm

eskamobob1 wrote:Wow. Thats actualy a lot less than I expected for the engine. As for the doors being bonded in, I kinda like it

Would be nice if they were cut down a dash to help a bit like old blower Bentleys though. As for the strength, ofc you need less material for the same stiffness if you dont cut out a massive u section from each side of the car.... my money is on this body being much more rigid than normal door frame or not

If you are going to stick a T45 cage in it then I don't think the loss of the frame will be missed
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: