Lotus Elan

Silverstone Auction Sprint

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon May 24, 2021 5:45 am

Grizzly wrote:Tim, I spoke to Silverstone about this Elan, they told me to expect a premium due to Steve Soper owning it but also because of it's originality.... when i asked in what way?? they said apart from cosmetic paintwork, new hood and some recommissioning work etc by Paul Matty it still had the original chassis, Body, Running gear etc!! when i asked was this a good thing not having a new Chassis?? the guy said i bet you can count "original Elans" on two hands let alone with such low documented miles!!

So, apart from the bodywork, respray, hood, 'recommissioning' (that clearly involved a decent amount of engine work), the car is just as it left the factory.

It all appears to have been done to a good standard, (and I wish my doors fitted that well), but in my book, 'original' it isn't.
Andy8421
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyj007 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:30 am

I dont get the steve soper value connection .. without being rude to him hes nothing special (sorry steve) in the fact of making the car more desirable its almost worth you paying an ex touring car driver 500 quid to own you car for a week put it on the log book, and own it back again.. if this is the case .
whether or not its worth the 65plus k im not qualified to answer, but being old enough to be around when touring cars were in their prime spattered all over the tv, and also being into my motorsport. a steve soper owned car does nothing to make me want to write bigger cheques because its perceived to add value..
andyj007
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon May 24, 2021 8:25 am

Andy8421 wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Tim, I spoke to Silverstone about this Elan, they told me to expect a premium due to Steve Soper owning it but also because of it's originality.... when i asked in what way?? they said apart from cosmetic paintwork, new hood and some recommissioning work etc by Paul Matty it still had the original chassis, Body, Running gear etc!! when i asked was this a good thing not having a new Chassis?? the guy said i bet you can count "original Elans" on two hands let alone with such low documented miles!!

So, apart from the bodywork, respray, hood, 'recommissioning' (that clearly involved a decent amount of engine work), the car is just as it left the factory.

It all appears to have been done to a good standard, (and I wish my doors fitted that well), but in my book, 'original' it isn't.

I know........ but in the world of Classic cars it's more original than a car that has had a replacement Chassis.

And yes i agree it's a stupid thing to put a number on how many cars out there have original chassis still under them but i'm just repeating what i was told (think it was a throwaway comment trying to get his point across that it was common to change Chassis)

By the way from my experience, Original doesn't necessarily mean as it comes out of the factory, a car still in original paint etc is called a "Survivor" and commands the very highest values. I can take you to a DK engineering restored Ferrari that has a classiche certificate (as left the factory) although it has had fresh paint etc etc etc "Origanal" is a sliding scale but Survivor isn't.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 74Twincam » Tue May 25, 2021 3:48 am

And a neglected “Survivor” isn’t worth what a cared for but modified driver car would be to me. The valuable Survivor car must be in well serviced order and cosmetics to be at the top of the scale, not a crusty and dried up “barn find”. They are the truly scarce. I roll my eyes hearing stories of “All I did was wash the 40 years of dust off it and it’s just like new”.
It would be a nice comfort to have Sprint and Elan values rise, but I also would be skeptical of the mediocre cars being passed off as more than they should. Elans will always have the issue of lacking traceability and lost factory records. I appreciate mine, its value to me will exceed the market price for a good long time...
Bill
1972 Elan Sprint
1974 Europa Special
74Twincam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Tue May 25, 2021 2:26 pm

Here's my original 21,000 mile chassis albeit powder coated. Perhaps I should auction this Elan and hope there is more than one bidder :) I know that Paul Matty wouldn't touch a car with an original chassis. Jim (second owner).
Attachments
682D6C46-6961-4C93-8BAD-03691F448074_4_5005_c.jpeg
682D6C46-6961-4C93-8BAD-03691F448074_4_5005_c.jpeg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 80 times
2511E0EE-ED12-4909-A927-945C0AB0610A.jpeg and
4C2E1E90-0B47-4535-B328-7CF4288B3433.jpeg and
69FC2930-906E-4153-9D17-71566ADD1969.jpeg and
85E49EBE-D0AD-4B42-9B23-9EBE8D56E58B.jpeg and
71A7FBF2-4F24-4401-8BF5-4E60BEAFCE8B.jpeg and
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue May 25, 2021 2:41 pm

Stop teasing us Jim!

You told me you won't sell it until the ashtrays are full and you're a non smoker :mrgreen:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: