Lotus Elan

My Old S4 S/E dhc FS

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:31 pm

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1328431

Sold to a friend and now three years later for sale again.

A really good car that should be perhaps be preserved, rather than restored.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Looks like a great car, and if it was once with you I'd bet on it being in really good shape unless something happened in the interim.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:29 am

Kind of you to say so Henry, but I bought the car as a restoration project and it sat for probably six or seven years whilst I worked on other stuff, then a friend offered me a dhc Sprint. Much as I hate selling cars, the S4 had to go. The guy that bought it is an excellent mechanic, I'm surprised he's selling it, but it's a very reasonable price for an honest car.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:04 am

If I wasn't restoring my white S4 currently I would be buying that car without hesitation...it was my old car as well!

It is super-original, and when I bought it from a lady in Oxford in 2007, she was using it as her everyday car up until a few weeks prior to my buying the car. The engine was very strong, and everything worked, but the brakes were binding, She wanted something with a bit more comfort for her daily commute I think, so the car had sat outside for a few weeks not used whilst she decided what to do with it.

It has old MOTs going back to 1974.

I would imagine that it wouldn't take too much to get this car back on the road and as Rob says, it may be nice to keep the paint and interior exactly as it is. Maybe paint the bumpers and wheels!

I have a lot of photos of the car if anybody needs to see it as it was around 2010. I doubt it's changed much since then.

Mark Kempson
Attachments
z int 1 280411 001.jpg and
z eng 1 280411.jpg and
z240511 006.jpg and
z240511 014.jpg and
z240511 018.jpg and
z240511 022.jpg and
z240511 002.jpg and
zzwith e.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm

Interesting that it was originally a Yorkshire car, registered in Bradford.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 pm

So is the one I kept. In fact this one had never lived outside Yorkshire at I bought it from the 2nd owner in Harrogate!

A year or two after I bought DWW10H I was at the Club Lotus bash at Stoneleigh (remember them?) and I was surprised to see an S4 DHC in white, registration number DWW9H.
Attachments
z2.jpg and
DSC_0016.JPG and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:16 pm

Sold by the same dealer.

It also had a heap of tax discs going back to the early 70's and copies of the logbooks going back to day one.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TOR15T » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:48 am

Very interesting to read the information about this Elan, from the comments here and the details that members knew about the car I decided to purchase it. I have been looking for some time for a Sprint but this seemed a very genuine car, so I am now an S4 owner. Any information or history that previous owners may be able to tell me about the car would be much appreciated. Thank You.
TOR15T
New-tral

PostPost by: vstibbard » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:03 am

I went through the same process when I bought my first Elan, wanting a Sprint FHC I ended up buying a Yellow S4 SE DHC Rego MJY740J which had Stromberg's and big valves and D type cams, CR box with 3.55 diff, it was terrific fun, economical to run and quick.

Enjoy your Elan experience, I can't wait until I get an Elan back on the road...

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:11 pm

TOR15T wrote:Very interesting to read the information about this Elan, from the comments here and the details that members knew about the car I decided to purchase it. I have been looking for some time for a Sprint but this seemed a very genuine car, so I am now an S4 owner. Any information or history that previous owners may be able to tell me about the car would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Very well done ! enjoy !
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:18 pm

I'm very pleased you made that decision as I was starting to get tempted to buy it back.

If the current owner doesn't have all the old MOTs or tax discs, I have copies I can send, and quite a few photos.

And if you, or any of your neighbours, have a cat, you will find that the car is a very popular hammock!

Mark Kempson
Attachments
110508 020.jpg and
110508 017.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TOR15T » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Thank You Mark
Much appreciated, as I have not seen it yet, the pictures shown so far have been of great assistance, it seems to be a very genuine and original car, and yes we have 2 cats!!!

Rgds Alan
TOR15T
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:20 pm

The car defines ‘genuine’ and’ original’ really Alan!

Having just spent the last 18 month restoring my S4, I now know every nut and bolt of the model. Looking over the old photos of your car, I can see just how unmolested the cars is, and that’s probably the reason I was seriously thinking of buying back ‘CYG’.

I have a S3 Coupe which has also never been apart, or at least, not fully. Having gone through the S4 restoration, I now have several target areas to recondition on the S3 that I know will need attention. However, I did put a new chassis on the car in 1978, so that's OK!

What are your plans for the car, and how ‘hands-on’ are you? Whilst the car is superb, it is 51 years old and un-restored, and that means it will need work. To put that into focus, if it were a perfect, restored car it would sell at £40k plus. The asking price is really for a good project car, which you don’t have. You have a fabulous project car!

If the chassis and engine are both still good, you can tackle the renovation in small projects, improving the car incrementally. It sounds like the current owner has renovated the brake and clutch hydraulics, but the tyres and rotoflex couplings will certainly need urgent inspection and probably replacement.

And if you’re going to do the rotoflex couplings, you may as well overhaul the rear suspension at the same time, and even drop the differential and replace the seals and bearings.

There are many such small projects for the front suspension, steering, engine bay, dashboard, behind the dash and many other areas. How you approach the work is entirely dependant on what you want out of the car of course. If you want restored perfection then you may as well take the body off the chassis and start from there.

There is no end of experience on here from folks who have gone through the same process, and of course, there are a couple of essential books to get if you don’t have them already. The first is the factory workshop manual, and the second is Brian Buckland’s book ‘Rebuilding a Lotus Elan’.

You will have a lot of fun I’m sure.
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TOR15T » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:00 am

Thank you Mark have sent you a PM
TOR15T
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:22 am

I haven
't received one Alan. I think you may have to p[ost a few times before you can send one!

If you look at the right side of my post you'll see the icon I use (the red Elan engine bay), and below that is a little envelope and a globe next to that. Press the globe, and that will take you to my Lotus Cortina website. Have a look at the 'About and Contact' section and my details are at the bottom of that.

Or post a couple more times!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: