Lotus Elan

New Old Stock Sparto side repeaters

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:59 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-LOTU ... SwyTJf3McK

Saw these earlier, they don’t particularly look brilliant to me but could be a want for someone here. I’ve asked they post up a photo of the internal festoon holder. The only concern I have is that where there should be a small domed head BA screw through the bezel there’s an oversized self tapper which comes right through the gasket (which it shouldn’t). This will have destroyed the possibility of putting the correct screws in as the thread for the correct BA ones will be way oversize and will fall out. Shame really.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:58 am

If these are indeed Sparto, they don't look like the model that was fitted to the Elan.

I worked in a car spares shop as a Saturday job when I was at school in the early 70s. Sparto sold a whole range of aftermarket tat, reversing lights, sidelights, interior lights and so on. None of them were much good, no proper weather sealing, contacts were poor, often the plastic cover would melt if the bulb was left on for too long.

The Sparto wing repeaters used on the Elan were the best of a bad job. They did at least have separate screws to hold the light to the body and the cover on to the fitting, they also had the shiny metal surround as embellishment. The Sparto lights I sold used the self tapper that held the cover on as the same fixing to hold the light to the car body - in the same way as the eBay model.

Whatever the lights are in the eBay advert, they are not the original Elan Sparto wing repeaters.
Andy8421
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:42 am

I’m afraid you are incorrect, I assure you they are the correct lenses (with the flattened ends and no central ridge) bezel is also but jury is out on the internals as we can’t see them. The large self tappers have ruined what could have been a very rare and valuable pair.

The repeaters you sold are still available from the likes of Halfords very cheaply. Even the ones Matty sells are the cheap incorrect version but he’s added a bezel he’s had made.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:00 pm

You may be correct about the lenses, but the rest of the lamp is very suspect - it may be a 'bitsa', it certainly isn't a 'new out of the box' original Sparto indicator as the seller suggests. The fixing holes should be inset by about 1/4 inch from the screws that hold the lens on to the backplate - there are no signs of these holes on the rear view of the rubber, equally there is no cable hole either.

Back of the original side repeater showing the fixing holes on the backplate offset from the lens fitting screws:

Capture.JPG and

Back of the eBay seller's repeater:
Attachments
Capture1.JPG and
Andy8421
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 am

He still hasn’t responded to my contact asking for a photo of the internals either. The self tappers do look remarkably like the ones used on the cheap aftermarket versions too. I suspect the festoon holder to be non original possibly a thin metal strip featuring screw type attachment points for the wiring which I’ve seen before and can post a photo up if required. I agree with you that they are almost certainly bitsa’s and not NOS Spartos. Buyers beware.

Andy if the photo of those Spartos you’ve shown are yours you have a very nice and very valuable set there.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:18 pm

I got a similar pair in the early 90es from a know dealer, that never installed: they are indeed Sparto but significantly in that a single pair of screw does the fastening of the assembly and onto the body, while the period ones had 2 pairs of screws (one to fasten the supporting plate to the body, and one to attach the lens to the supporting plate)

I can offer them for half the asked price ;) shipping including, too...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Pardon me for stating the obvious :roll: but there's no wires coming out of the bacl of the "NOS" ones, do they connect via bluetooth?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:36 am

pharriso wrote:Pardon me for stating the obvious :roll: but there's no wires coming out of the bacl of the "NOS" ones, do they connect via bluetooth?

there is a black rubber seating that goes underneath them, one is supposed to punch a hole suiting the hole location for his application (these are aftermarket items, to be adapted to many applications).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:48 am

The ebayer has now answered and posted up a photo of the internals. They are exactly what I thought they’d be I suspect someone has added the aftermarket festoon holder to the other original parts. Don’t think they are worth half what he’s asking but if you have a couple of correct festoon holders you could make them into a nice and correct pair.
FF283AEB-C24A-466E-913C-2324338F5B70.png and
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: