PostPost by: mark030358 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 pm

This is Lagoon Blue....
Attachments
A7672FD0-C8DC-4C07-8CE6-173BE07C16AB.jpeg and
mark030358
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:38 pm

Or this. Much depends on the light and camera.
Attachments
P1030472.JPG and
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:55 pm

Hi Jim,

I’m not sure they are the same vehicle, the VIN plate on the trailer ad is not the same as the auction car

Iain
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:37 am

Jim they are two different Sprints.

The Haydon Sprint is 0563E

The auction Sprint, which is under dual ownership, is 0602E

Lagoon Blue Metallic is particularly susceptible to photo interpretation so can look quite different under certain light and reproduction conditions.

The other colour that is tricky to reproduce correctly is that of the gold bumpers, a Sprint differentiator. Most painters get it wrong, only slightly, but enough for anoraks like me to notice.

In the overall scheme of things, it’s not that big a deal!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 am

Looks like Royal Blue to me. Mistake in the listing?
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 pm

I stand corrected. I was working from the number plate of the auction sprint which somehow looked familiar to me which is why I tied up with the Haydon Sprint. You don't see many mono Lagoon Blue Sprints. I recall one was on the front cover of Thoroughbred & Classic Cars in the mid 70s and the same car on front cover of one of the Elan Brooklands books. Oh and 75 MY which is in Bolsters book and Motor towards the end of the 70s. Jim
Last edited by JimE on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:40 pm

Where’s JimJ when you need him ? He has a monotone lagoon blue Sprint.

And as another owner of a lagoon blue car......yes ambient lighting changes its’ shade all the time.

Oh, and did anyone else notice the crack on the inlet manifold on #3 cylinder?

Regards
R
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:56 pm

Never `eard of `im.
Attachments
P1010023.JPG and
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:50 am

[quote="JimE"] You don't see many mono Lagoon Blue Sprints. I recall one was on the front cover of Thoroughbred & Classic Cars in the mid 70s and the same car on front cover of one of the Elan Brooklands books. Oh and 75 MY which is Bolsters book and Motor towards the end of the 70s. Jim[/quote]

Jim, 75 MY is only nine unit numbers on from the auction Sprint. Both built end 72/start 73 and both registered in Mar 73, just before the new VAT introduction, which was when most Lotus dealers managed to shift the last of the Sprints.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:26 pm

trw99 wrote:
JimE wrote: You don't see many mono Lagoon Blue Sprints. I recall one was on the front cover of Thoroughbred & Classic Cars in the mid 70s and the same car on front cover of one of the Elan Brooklands books. Oh and 75 MY which is Bolsters book and Motor towards the end of the 70s. Jim

Jim, 75 MY is only nine unit numbers on from the auction Sprint. Both built end 72/start 73 and both registered in Mar 73, just before the new VAT introduction, which was when most Lotus dealers managed to shift the last of the Sprints.

Tim

Including mine Tim.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pabbage » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:43 am

Seems like a good excuse to post a photo of your lagoon blue sprint :D

IMG_4726.JPG and
pabbage
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:52 am

LITTLE LO CLOYES SUR LOIR.JPG and

Who needs an excuse
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:08 am

I think that's a lovely colour in monotone on the sprint.
For me, the gold bumpers is part of the sprint package and looks the part.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:58 pm

As this is turning into a lagoon blue thread, here’s mine freshly washed.

Regards
Richard
Attachments
47DBBFA9-FE98-45A5-931A-26A949E18A1E.jpeg and
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:09 pm

'Even you Leslie would have to agree that the paint & interior look very nice?'

The only thing I agree with in this question is the word LOOK. I have posted before in discussions about paintwork and pictures of cars posted here and elsewhere on the internet, ie in adverts and auctions of cars for sale, that you can tell SOD ALL about the quality of the paint and or a respray from those pictures............period, as you Yanks say. Well, and Les Gold from American Jewellery & Loan in the big D :lol:

So to the car in question. After reading the bullshit write up, written by the scribblers at Collecting Cars, from information supplied to them from the owners!!!!!, more than one !!!!!, and the 7 stage paint job that the body has had, I am thinking hmm, has the car been painted by Option 1, in which case it SHOULD be fine?

So I send some emails and make some phone calls, and no, it has not been painted by Option 1, but by one of the owners :shock: Has he painted many glassfibre cars? No, this is the first one. Has he painted many cars? 3

I know now that I shall not be bidding. Again, as I have said before, a Lotus Elan is the LAST car in the world that you want to be buying, without seeing it in the flesh, unless it is cheap, and this car wont be, because some covidiots will bid it right up, but I shall not be joining the fray, however I doubt it will make its reserve.

Another thing that surprises me with this auction. Not a single person has asked anything about the condition of the engine, the second most important thing on the car, beside the body. It doesn't look, from the pictures, that the cam cover has been removed, as the cork gasket is old, and as the car had been sitting outside for SEVEN years, I would have thought that an inspection of the cams before running the engine was essential. Oh well.

Lastly, I do not like Collecting Cars' terms and conditions. You have to register a credit card with them. At the end of the auction, if the car makes the reserve, they automatically charge 6% of the winning bid to your card. That is going to be about £2k. Should the car not be as described, to bad, there are NO refunds. They say you should have made all enquiries and viewed before bidding, and in these testing times, viewing is just not possible, so arrivederci and goodnight.

Stay safe,

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: