Lotus Elan

One from Bonhams

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 am

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26110/ ... =12&page=2

I know they're period correct but those SP Sport tyres look odd to my modern eyes.....
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:22 am

This car was for sale at Silverstone Auctions less than a month ago, together with the fixed head Tawny Sprint that had sat at Matty's for a year. Neither sold. Cars are very sticky at the moment, unless they are VERY keenly priced, and I certainly would not buy one at auction and pay their ridiculous commissions. Why would you? There are plently of cars on the market and most are over priced in the current climate. Many factors.

If you are looking to buy a car presently, go and view, preferably privately, and bargain hard. You are never going to get a great deal from a dealer, less so from an auction house. The only time to buy from an auction house is when they have something special, something out of the ordinary, and even then, I baulk at the fees, greedy sods.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm

reb53 wrote:https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26110/lot/112/?category=list&length=12&page=2

I know they're period correct but those SP Sport tyres look odd to my modern eyes.....

They don't look right to me either, neither from a distance of close up. The vents are too far up the sidewall and they didn't have all that patterning on the side, as I remember.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:22 pm

It was actually withdrawn from the Silverstone auction, not unsold. A shame as I was hoping to get a look at it; should have been a nice original 'reference' car though the bonnet bulge does make me wonder.
Not quite sure what happened with the switch of auction house (someone at Silverstone will have been on the wrong end of a rollocking) but given it has only been sold twice in its entire life, both times by Bonhams, I would have thought they would be a good bet. An estimate quite a bit higher than the one Silverstone gave it might have helped...
Agreed 25% (premium plus commission) is quite steep but not all Auctioneers charge that much - ask me how I know!
Cheers
Rob
S3 SE FHC
7 S2
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:
reb53 wrote:https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26110/lot/112/?category=list&length=12&page=2

They don't look right to me either, neither from a distance of close up. The vents are too far up the sidewall and they didn't have all that patterning on the side, as I remember.

If the date code is correct, the tyre(s) were made in the 80's! (3 digit code means before 2000, and 90's codes should have a triangle, so this was manufactured during the 7th week of 1984)...
tyre.jpg and
draenog
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 pm

Perfectly safe then.......
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:59 pm

I would think that the current owner either had a phone call from Bonhams offering better rates, or thought that Bonhams would make a better job of selling the car and therefore withdrew it. He could also have thought that the named storm that weekend would put buyers off travelling to the sale and withdrew, who knows.

'Agreed 25% (premium plus commission) is quite steep but not all Auctioneers charge that much'

Not quite sure where you got that figure from. Silverstone Auctions quote 12.5% commission + entry fees. Nobody in their right mind would pay 25% of their cars value to sell it.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:16 pm

Shiny car

Nice clean interior in good condition

Manky filthy engine :evil:

I don't get why people don't prepare the whole car, especially for an auction.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Alasdair » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 pm

Could this be a Super Safety, the door cards covering the handle is like my S3 SS Coupe? I don’t see any SS badging on front wings and cannot see if it has dual brake system, all S3 SS cars had a bulged bonnet and S4 switches, non tip seats, red dash lettering, I recall not many SS cars were sold.
Alasdair.

1953 David Brown Cropmaster
1954 S1 Land Rover
1962 Elite S2
1966 Lotus Cortina MK1
1968 Elan S3 SS Coupe
1968 Austin J40
1969 Elan S4 SE DHC
1972 Elan Sprint
Alasdair
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:19 am

Looks like SS interior handles poking out below the door card. I suppose one could easily replace the dash w/ another using toggle switches rather than rockers. Especially if the existing rockers were all faded and/ or not working. And the VIN is in the 7 thousand range.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:21 pm

"Not quite sure where you got that figure from. Silverstone Auctions quote 12.5% commission + entry fees. Nobody in their right mind would pay 25% of their cars value to sell it."

Sellers commission plus buyers premium, the difference between the cheque written by the buyer and the money banked by the seller. When bidding, people factor in the premium they will have to pay and bid accordingly. Having said that, auctions can be a good place to sell and comparing prices achieved at auction with prices cars are advertised for can give a skewed picture; try contacting people with cars advertised a year or more ago and see how many have actually sold and of those that have, how many went for the asking price, never mind more than the asking price which of course can happen at auction.

Cheers

Rob
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:53 pm

Alasdair wrote:Could this be a Super Safety, the door cards covering the handle is like my S3 SS Coupe? I don’t see any SS badging on front wings and cannot see if it has dual brake system, all S3 SS cars had a bulged bonnet and S4 switches, non tip seats, red dash lettering, I recall not many SS cars were sold.

SS cars weren't sold as such this side of the pond, but that doesn't mean that bits weren't fitted anyway once they ran out of non-SS parts for RHD models.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:16 am

I agree, back in 1988 I came across a S3 fhc which had a bonnet bulge and recessed door handles. At the time I thought that it had been modified, but now I realise that it was like that from new.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: