Lotus Elan

Ebay Elan for 5800$ B.I.now - scam?

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:08 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1968-Lotus-E ... Sw~tJd63xv

engine?? and so forth............... sandywas cancelled!?

5min after i wrote the above message : just looked again - looks like the b.i.n. has been canceled sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:31 am

profile states "I offer great Valve for money " sounds like he knows about engines...

one way to know for sure : you buy it and let us know on the forum.

good luck !
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:38 am

It's a scam.

Same seller (which is a compromised account) has many classic car listings, all with an image showing an email address and asking you to quote the item title. You will send your money and never see the car.
Late 1972 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Unit 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:13 pm

I reported five esprit listed by the same account on friday
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:41 am

.......................as always: unbelievable deals usually have a shady backround - ........................... and i aint buyin no new elan!! sandy (dry tarmac today, so johnson goes for a ride)
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:03 pm

As JonB says, it's a scam and has been running for much more than a year on ebay. Fortunately the person doing this isn't very bright and it's easy to spot, just check on the 'other items for sale' on a listing. Ebay have just cleared out all the current crop of items but they will be back soon.....
What's a lot more concerning is that they appear from sellers with usually good feedback and I wouldn't be surprised if more than 100 accounts have been hacked (or falsified) in this time to make that possible. A significant data breach that Ebay has not reported ?
Elan S4
Gt4
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:52 pm

I doubt it is a eBay data leak. More likely they bought a list of email addresses and passwords from another leak and using that to get access to good ebay accounts that have same email & password.

Or they ran a phishing attempt to get eBay usernames and passwords.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:54 pm

What really annoys me is having to click into the listing only to discover it?s a scam. Also listings that are already sold but you can?t tell from the title, or disguised ?wanted all Lotus? crap. So time consuming when you?re looking to buy a car at a reasonable price.

Best bet would be to filter out prices that are unrealistic.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:01 pm

Well. that didn't take long, !!! another set of scams on fleabay now, same deal just another account name. Check the other car ltems for sale and there are 1763 by the same person......these surely can't be entered manually ? and why on earth can't ebay do something a bit more proactive than just taking them down after a few days......
Elan S4
Gt4
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:35 pm

"why on earth can't ebay do something a bit more proactive than just taking them down after a few days"

Cynically, because that would cost money. The'd have to hire staff. Ever wondered why it is so hard to contact eBay personnel? eBay and the like are to my view run on a shoe string to maximise profit. The whole site is just an auto cranking money making machine. So what if the users (buyers and sellers) get screwed? They don't care. They get their exorbitant fees either way.

The irony is that we, the ordinary users, are responsible for making it what it is. And the same goes for Facebook, Google, Amazon etc.

Wouldn't be so bad if they paid a fair share of tax.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:57 pm

And if we're being cynical, there is another reason its so hard to contact them. One of their main planks of their defence against being complicit in fraud by leaving the listings up is that 'if the service provider (ebay) has no knowledge or control over the information that is transmitted' then it is not liable for the accuracy of the listing......so it's better not to know what's going on.....
This was the situation in April 2018.....
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consu ... oses-1500/

Sounds familiar? little has changed....
Elan S4
Gt4
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: