Lotus Elan

3D Printed Plus 2 number plate plinths

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:39 pm

Eh up

I've CADded up a numberplate plinth for the rear of the Plus 2. As you probably know, it's got a concave curved cross section, which makes fitting numberplates without rubbing on the paintwork a bit tricky. The plinth is D shaped to fit this curve, and provides a flat surface to affix the plate to. You can choose to drill the plate and pass the bolt through it, or mount the plinths to the body then use doube sided foam to attach the plate to the plinths. The bolts sit in recesses so you can undo them anytime.

Currently I'm printing a set for a friend and once the size is all correct (looking good so far) I can offer them if anyone would like a set. I'll probably charge a tenner for a set of 2 plus post. Reply here if you're interested.

Plus 2 Plinth.jpg and
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Shiny_kit » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:08 am

Nice!

I have a stick on vinyl rear plate at present, authorities hereabouts are not overly zealous about stuff like this but would like to have the option of a standard plate so please put me down as a yes.

Regards

Andy
1968 Plus Two
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
Shiny_kit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elated » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:29 pm

A delightful, discrete improvement.
+1 for me please
Thanks,
Gordon
elated
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RonR » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:24 pm

Saw something like these on a plus 2 at the Brands Hatch Lotus Festival a few years ago and thought what a good idea they were.

Put me down for a pair please Jon.
Ron '68 +2, '92 M100
RonR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:32 am

Well, the prototype units (with backing pieces to spread the load) fitted well but as they'd been printed in PLA (a type of plastic material made from corn flour) they didn't hold up well to the strong sunlight encounted on the day of fitting. Didn't help that they were black.. anyway, I need to reprint in PETG which is more durable.

I've not used PETG before so I'll have to faff about a bit to set the printer up. Watch this space.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 pm

Quick update.

After some faffing about, I managed to get some consistent results with PETG.

For PETG my settings are 220C hotend, 75C bed, .15mm Z-offset and print with a raft to ensure good bed adhesion . I found the support structures for the bolt holes would come off the bed and the print would fail, unless a raft was printed first. Print speed should be low (30-50mm/s) and the fan is at 25%. Print bed is coated carborundum glass which came with the printer (Creality CR6-SE).

This is a 7 hour print. I'm using translucent PETG because it won't absorb much sunlight so should hold its shape better. I know it's covered by the number plate but the PLA prototype bent like a banana in no time (direct sun and it was black).

IMG_8466.jpg and
Print in progress..

A nice little project while the rain falls outside..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 pm

585E9368-1302-4387-A043-B07302A385AC.jpeg and
First set done!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:04 am

Now, because I can't stop tinkering with the design, I added tabs to the plinths that you can use to mount a plate with those plastic plate bolts you get in Halfords.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/numbe ... 23889.html

The holes in the tab are M6, same as the plinth holes.

Alternatively, use the adhesive pads they sell (which are very strong):

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/numbe ... 02613.html
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:43 pm

Some instructions:

IMG_8473.jpg and
Drill the holes, M6. This is the scary bit!

IMG_8474.jpg and
Attach some foam strip to the curved face of the plinth and backing piece. This will help prevent water ingress in the boot and take up any gaps.

IMG_8475.jpg and
Pop an M6 bolt of suitable length into the plinth, pushing the head into the hex shaped recess.

IMG_8476.jpg and
Push the bolt through the hole, then fit the backing plate. Tighten the nut by hand.

IMG_8478.jpg and
Carefully stick the plate to the plinths using number plate tape.

If you 're planning on using the tabs with the plastic M6 numberplate bolts, the order of assembly will be different. I'd suggest fitting the plinths (with bolts inserted) to the plate first, then measure the gap between the bolts and use that to guide you when drilling the holes in the boot panel. Then offer up the plate with fitted plinths as an assembly and fit the backing plates / nuts. Or, use sticky tape to attach the plate to the plinths (once fitted to the car), undo the plinths and drill the M6 holes through the tabs and fit the plastic bolts, then reattach to the car as an assembly.

Remember: Measure twice, drill once!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 am

Hi,

Would like to order a set if possible, thanks.

Innes
1973 +2S 130/5 JPS Restoration build thread -> Click Me
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:18 pm

@Elated and @RonR - Please check your messages in box for payment details.

@innesw - Thanks, I've PMed you.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: