Lotus Elan

701 Engine

PostPost by: Fredtech » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:08 am

Hi Guys. I'm posting this, available to Elan-Net members, before putting it on the usual auction sites.

Lotus "L" Block, appears to be on original bore. Weber head, good thickness at 4.60".
Comes with Cams, Crank, Flywheel, Clutch Pressure-Plate, Late-Type Timing Case, Oil-Pan.

For more details, sizes and additional photos, please "PM" me. I'd expect this engine
to make more than £4K on the usual auction sites, so only those with a serious interest please.

This would be for "Collection only", Ascot Berkshire. Although I may be able to meet-up at
Mattys, Kelvadon or similar if that helps, or even hang onto it and take it to Castle-Coumbe
assuming our Lotus Day goes ahead late May.
Attachments
EN-1.jpg and
EN-2.jpg and
EN-3.jpg and
EN-4.jpg and
TC-5.jpg and
EN-5.jpg and
John "Freddie" Nelson, Berks UK
26/3212 - Rebuilding
S4-Sprint DHC - Now at a new home.....
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:20 am

Dammit. Exact engine that should be in my plus2. Oh well, good luck with sale
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:28 pm

Has it been run? If so what mileage?
TBG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Fredtech » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:18 pm

Hi. Must have come out of a running car, but how long ago, I don't know.
Came as-is, recovered it from a friends garage along with
all the other stuff he left, mostly Cortina and Elan, Diff's and Gearbox items.
26/3212 - Rebuilding
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:22 pm

Fredtech wrote:Lotus "L" Block, appears to be on original bore. Weber head, good thickness at 4.60".
Comes with Cams, Crank, Flywheel, Clutch Pressure-Plate, Late-Type Timing Case, Oil-Pan..

I'm not seeing any Pistons or Con-Rods?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fredtech » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:33 pm

Correct, no Rods or Pistons, we could not find them amongst all the other stuff in the garage.

Assuming new owner would re-bore, then you would be fitting new ones anyway. Rods, 125E, sometimes available on auction-sites, or replacements available from Burton/QED etc.

Please see the full write-up below:-

This came from a friends garage I was helping clear as a result of some tragic personal circumstances. The engine was partially dismantled, I'm assuming he was going to rebuild it, but one of those things that never got done.

I'd expect this engine to make more than £4K on the usual auction sites, so only those with serious offers please.

Details as follows.

Lotus "L" Block, 701. That has a T2 Cast number and the Casting Date is 13-April-1971, so quiet late. Block is stamped "LA", which makes it a better grade than the standard "LB" blocks. Looks to be on original bore size, the bores do have wear and some discolorations, but this would be ok with a first-stage re-bore.
Serial number stamped on the engine is a "P" number, so this was likely originally fitted to an Elan +2.

There are no Con-Rods or Pistons with this block, we could not find them in his garage, so these would need replacing. No problem with the pistons as you would need new larger pistons anyway after the re-bore, Con-Rods are available from QED/Burton or On-Line. Original 125E Con-Rods do come up occasionally On-Line as well. Additionally, an oil-pump would be needed, I would always fit a new one anyway, as well as a distributor. I do have an mechanical fuel-pump if you need one.

The 6-Bolt Crank appears to be on standard size shells. There are a few regular wear marks on the journals, but personally, I think it would run fine with new shells. If you are fussy though, go for a re-grind.

The Oil Pick-Up and return line are removed at the moment. I'm assuming this was done so the block could be stored flat on the storage shelf. Pick-up Return line and Dip-Stick are included. The Oil-Sump-Pan has a few dings in the bottom as usual, but there were no leaks when checked.

Front Timing Case is the later type with the Timing Chain Tensioner strengthening support bracket. Water pump feels surprisingly good, but you would want to fit a new one off course, as well as a tensioner and chain.

Fly wheel has the "Inertia" facing ring-gear. Good flat surface-plate along with the pressure-plate. Comes with a clutch plate, but this would obviously be replaced with a new one.

Head looks good and comes with Big-Valve cams (two groves in the front of the cam)
Thickness is good, at 4.602", measured with a vernier. The head would need a rebuild, and I, personally, would fit new valves and springs. The head has "Standard" inlet valves fitted for some reason, as opposed to the Big-Valve type. I'm not sure why, as the head is stamped "N", which usually denotes Big-Valve, and certainly the cams are Big-Valve. If you are fitting new valves/springs then this should be no problem taking the inlets to the larger size if required.

Cam Cover is "Big-Valve", the oil-fill cap does have some slight "Dings" in it, I'm assuming caused by poor storage, but it fits ok.

The engine is "Loose Fitted" at the moment, so the head and sump can be removed for inspection by those interested in viewing / buying, thus avoiding some of the "Jack-in-a-box" engines seen on auction sites (Full of nasty surprises) This also makes it easier to load into an SUV or decent size hatch-back car. (The Engine Stand is not included, but can be available if required)

This is for "Collection Only", from Ascot, Berkshire. Firstly, so the new owners can check that they are happy with it. Secondly, the weight, and reliability of shipping with the usual company's is prohibitive. I may be able to meet-up at Mattys, Kelvadon or similar if that helps, or even hang onto it and take it to Castle-Coumbe
assuming our Lotus Day goes ahead late may.

Any further details required, please drop me an E-Mail:- [email protected]" target="_blank
or my mobile number is: 07710-740949.

Thanks. John "Freddy" Nelson.
26/3212 - Rebuilding
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:30 pm

Short of the engine history, if you want to give it a chance to reach the expected amount, I suggest you would provide some detail photo of the top of the head, in order to give a potential buyer a chance to assess whether it has gone soft of just been overtightened...

Good luck !
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fredtech » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:02 pm

Hi. Yep, lots of photos / details / sizes available. Please E-Mail me for the details, as
I cannot post all the photos (to many), and photo definition is rather reduced here.

Thanks.

[email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank
26/3212 - Rebuilding
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: