Lotus Elan

Hardtop Hardware Kit

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Lotus Elan S1, S2, 26R, GTS " Hardtop Hardware Kit"

Can't install your hardtop because you don't have any or some of the installation hardware? Tired of experimenting with different nuts, washers, spacers trying to get everything mounted?

Not available for decades, I have just finished manufacturing the "Hardtop Hardware Kit" ! All the parts needed to install the factory Hardtop on an early Elan. They will be ready to ship in approximately 10 days. Manufactured to the same exacting tolerances as the originals. Powder coated for a long lasting factory finish!

Frank

Email: [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank

Phone: 678-596-1207
Attachments
Hardtop Hardware 8.jpg and
Hardtop Hardware 7.jpg and
Famous Frank

66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
66 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1963 S1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Looks great Frank! What is the application for the two bolts/washers?
1963 S1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:18 am

Hello Frank,
Sent you an e mail but you may not have seen it. ?

Do you have a photo or series of photographs showing where and how these fit ?

Thanks
Gino
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coup?
1967 Elan S3 Coup?
1968 Elan S4 Coup?
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:48 pm

Gino and 1963S1,
Thank you for the questions. I'll post a couple of pics here but I'll take more later today and will post more. It seems a lot of people don't know how the early Hardtops were fastened. I didn't years ago either. Mostly because I didn't have the brackets. Even now with factory brackets, they are such a weird looking part most people don't know what they are.

Regarding the two bolts in the Hardtop Hardware Kit, the Hardtop is held in place at 7 locations. The parts that are always missing are the three Brackets and the three weird nuts that fasten the hardtop to the top of the Windshield Frame. Then the two bolts hold the Hardtop to the body just behind the door on top of the rear quarters. The last two locations that assist in securing the Hardtop are the front of the Trunk (Boot) Hinges where the top butts up to them. The two pics below should explain better that me. If a customer is going to install their Hardtop, I don't want them to have the Top lift off while driving. And I don't want to have to make them go to a Hardware Store to purchase two bolts. Then they will also purchase the wrong thread and/or the wrong length. And since they probably have not had the top installed in years, or maybe never at all during their ownership, the two bolts will remind them they have something else to install then just the three brackets at the Windshield Frame.

Please email or call with any questions. In 1984 I purchased from my friend Carl Grabowski's 65 Medici Blue S2 just to purchase the Hardtop. He wouldn't sell it separately so I had to purchase the whole car. Thankfully, he was the one to show me how it installed because I didn't have a clue. It's so simple once you perform the installation once but prior to that it seems to be a mystery.

Stay Healthy and all the best my friends!

And Gino, just in case, my email is: [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank

Frank
Attachments
Hardtop Bolt Installed.jpg and
Hardtop bolt location.jpg and
Famous Frank

66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
66 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank