Lotus Elan

Sold Tony Thompson Rear Anti Roll bar

PostPost by: batfish » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:43 pm

I have a TTR rear anti roll bar for sale,

Regards

Andy Somerton
Last edited by batfish on Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Andy
Would this fit to a standard chassis?
Do you have an image or sketch of one fitted per chance please?
Many thanks
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:23 pm

Gavin,

I think you would need to fit the threaded rod to each side of the standard chassis (see reference in the 26R doculment on the FIA database). I'm sure it could be done.

Andy

Perhaps you can simply substitute the adjustable part once you know the right dimension ?

Andrew

P1000278.JPG and
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi Gavin
As Andrew says you need the threaded bolt on each side of the chassis like a 26R chassis and the same on the A frames.

Regards
Andy
Last edited by batfish on Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:45 am

Is the issue the drop link? The rest of antiroll bar looks same as my original S2 26R bar which has threaded ends to bolt the eye of drop link to? I'll find the original drop links to see what the issue is.

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:49 am

Those of you who have switched to CV axles be advised that a rear sway-bar was found to be needed to make up for the loss of the roto-flex action.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:31 am

USA64 wrote:Those of you who have switched to CV axles be advised that a rear sway-bar was found to be needed to make up for the loss of the roto-flex action.

Yes I have seen that quoted and the source article appears to be one from a local supplier here in Melbourne who had a theoretical study done. However when you look at the overall roll stiffness of the rotoflex joints they are extremely non linear and really only limit droop at its extreme and they do very little to create roll stiffness in bump where you want it . You can try it by bolting up a rotoflex and the intermediate drive shaft and move by hand the axle up and down the drive shaft over its normal range of movement in a car and judge how much it really adds

The biggest handling problem with an Elan especially on modern tyres with standard rear springs ( and often the standard Aeon rubber springs removed by people fitting smaller diameter rear springs ) is that the car tends to to sit down to far on the rear outer wheel upsetting all the rest of the cars handling. Stiffer rear springs and slightly spaced down Aeons removes this tendency without resorting to a rear bar in my experience.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:02 am

Hi Andy

Done some homework. My chassis is a spaceframe and the mounting point would end up going through what is effectively a box section which I wouldn't want to do without welding in a bush. That makes it a body off job for me which I'm not planning for a while. I can see it being easier for a folded chassis set up so I'm going to let it go.

Thanks everyone for the additional information.

All the best
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:21 am

Hi v

The problem with the TTR bar is it does not have a threaded end, the drop link is attached with an ally piece that slides on the roll bar and with a grub screw to hold it in position. When I sent the HTP papers to have them amended to include the rear bar someone at the FIA in Paris decreed it was adjustable and would not accept it.

Regards

Andy
Attachments
P1250001 - Copy.JPG and
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:45 am

Hi Andy

That part does look as if it could be adjusted (but it would then foul something else).

Some head scratching and getting rid of the naff red part would probably please the HTP folks. I'm surprised it even got as far as Paris!

The process is being better policed but the FIA's own "good practice" document with an Elan had inconsistencies. I have kept a copy if this is of use.

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:24 pm

batfish wrote:The problem with the TTR bar is it does not have a threaded end, the drop link is attached with an ally piece that slides on the roll bar and with a grub screw to hold it in position. When I sent the HTP papers to have them amended to include the rear bar someone at the FIA in Paris decreed it was adjustable and would not accept it.

I guess this setup could be considered as adjustable in stifness (though moderately, by moving the attaching point along the ARB) and not only to balance side to side - I can't see well where the grub screw is catching (a flat?) but it does not strike me as a bullet proof design, as the force goes through an arm that has a joint within its length (made solid only by the grub screw?) and is not rigidly connecting the two operating pieces (ARB and suspension arm) throught their respective mechanical centers.

Had TTR mentioned anything or after the fact discussed about the elligibility of this setup? I suppose in some instances welding adjustable parts (e.g. suspension threaded plateforms - hardly applicable here on spring steel ARB) could be considered as fixed hence elligible, though anything departing from the official list is probably dependent on scrutiny.

Thank you for this experience feedback in any case, and good luck with the FIA for your journey towards the precious HTP...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:15 pm

What do you think of the Kelsport item?
Didn't TTR take it back in as much as they must have known you were going for a passport and supplied a part that didn't comply?
I was thinking of applying for my passport without the rear ARB in place.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:45 pm

different anti roll bar fitted yesterday took a couple of hours to remove and replace and photos sent to the MSA but the person is now on furlough and not at work.
The MSA has been hopelessly through all this. I sent my existing papers and photographs to them in January. 3 weeks later no response so phoned and they said they needed more photographs so took and sent more. 3 weeks later no response so phoned and they said they were about to process them. Next e mail from them saying it had been rejected in Paris. So much for the new member focused MSA
Last edited by batfish on Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:06 pm

Now that I own a 26R ( in peices ) is this what I have to look forward to?
Famous Frank

66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
66 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am

Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding. I don't have any criticism of the TTR roll bar it is nice piece of kit that is really easy to install, any issue I have is with the FIA for being pedantic.
I have spoken to Eddie at TTR and he has told me they will be making a roll bar that will satisfy the FIA.

Regards

Andy
All keep safe
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: