Lotus Elan

s2?????

PostPost by: nomad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:38 am

The turn off for me was the dash made out of pressed sawdust board with likely a vinyl veneer. the things that were done just wrong with this car when it would have taken NO effort to do them right astounded me. I was thinking of it as a "driver" but was afraid of what else was lurking. As to the ugly mouth, I think once you had fitted a front plate to that modification it might not have looked so bad. Absolutely no good place to fit a front US plate to an Elan and it is required lots of places.

Kurt
nomad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:37 am

actually the dash would have been fine IF ONLY the grain went left to right, as opposed to up and down.
I once "flipped" an S4 Elan with a horrible dash that the veneer peeled off of. I laid on a woodgrain vinyl contact paper. I had to use an Exacto blade to cut out the gauges and knobs. in the end, it looked 100% better than the old naked plywood. :lol:
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: groucho » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 am

I doubt that's a veneer. My dash was/is just marine plywood that'd been stained, that's how it was when I got the car and it's recently been refinished. I think it looks fine. The grain on mine does go left-right though!

Originalists can have heart palpitations and turn their nose up in disgust, but who cares. It's just a dash. My car's a long ways from stock, so I won't lose any sleep from it. The car in this auction could have been pretty close to stock, though, but there were definitely weird choices made.

As for front dash - it's required here in NYS but I've gone 20 years without it ever being questioned. I keep it in the car just in case. I think most police will not hassle you too much about it considering that the car obviously has nowhere to put it without it looking weird. I haven't had one on my Elise for a couple years, either, and again, no issues so far.
Last edited by groucho on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Kyle
1965 Elan S2
2005 Elise
groucho
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:53 am

Here in South Dakota a friend was ticketed for having a front plate that would fold back so that it wasn't visible at speed. Depends on the officer I'm sure.
My hold up with the dash is mainly that from one view it definitely looked to be glued up sawdust board and if you drill a hole close to the edge of that stuff it doesn't hold up very well. Chapman made every item do its job and I'm afraid it wouldn't be long before it would start failing. Maybe not but considering the corners that were cut and the fact that the seller wouldn't allay my fears, i passed. Considering the final selling price, I admit, it might have been worth the money.
Oh well....spilled milk and water under the bridge....

Kurt
nomad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 am

I don't think any of us saw pics of the frame or undersides. Another whole discussion if we did.
That said, I will give the benefit of the doubt and hope the buyer did his due diligence and knows
more than we do and is satisfied with his purchase.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:57 pm

For years I ran my front plate hanging down from two wires below the grill. The wind would blow it back, but it was visible when stopped. Eventually I removed it (because it was marking the paint), carried it, and just stood it up in the windshield whenever I passed an officer.
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm

I have had some identical adhesive number plate stickers made and to date no one has ever questioned them.
Gino
Milano
Italy
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coup?
1967 Elan S3 Coup?
1968 Elan S4 Coup?
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
gino1