Lotus Elan

Tentative question

PostPost by: purplepeter » Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Just a quick update to close the discussion & hopefully fend off any further emails
Neither I or the original owner were happy with the thought of it going back on the road, especially for a paltry ?100 which is what I was offered
I have saved one piece for a chap in the states, but the rest of it went to the tip today
I'm fairly happy that I've found a purchaser for the remaining parts I have
Attachments
dscn0808.jpg and
purplepeter
New-tral

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Thu May 03, 2018 9:23 pm

A moment of silence, please, for a significant piece of automotive history being buried in a landfill...

Did you at least take the Lotus build number plate off it first? Was that the piece that is shipping to the US?

Did anyone mention what an early S1 Elan is worth?
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lottex » Fri May 04, 2018 6:31 am

Just read about this Bourne body being chopped up and dumped after a muted tresponse to a listing and a paltry offer of ?100. As a Bourne elan owner I for one would have happily paid a few hundred quid regardless of condition, just for dark grey gellcoat spares.
That said, it comes as no great suprise that nobody responded to the listing as it is titled " Tentative Question" ?? which is probably why no one ( including me) was immediately drawn to it. Why not go for the rather cryptic
" Bourne body for sale" ....?
The vendor apparently wasn't happy about it going back on the road?! It's a lump of very repairable fibreglass that sits on a steel chassis, not a carbon fibre tub...!
Sorry to sound cynical but Einsteins supposed famous quote springs to mind, "Only two things that are infinite- the universe and human stupidity -but I'm not so sure about the universe...."
lottex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: purplepeter » Fri May 04, 2018 8:13 am

To answer the last couple of questions- I made it clear from the outset that this body had No ID tags or paperwork & that I was on a tight timescale, having had to arrange Hire of a van & a couple of helpers to assist with lifting the other things that needed to be moved.
I was quite happy to give bits away in the interest of helping other cars to live on but I'd have equally happily accepted ?20 for the cuts
However, Some chap coming along & wanting to take the whole thing for resale is another kettle of fish altogether- His offer of ?100 came reluctantly after telling Me it was worthless.- Accordingly I felt obliged to check with the guy who gave me the shell 20 years ago (He's not just some bloke who gave Me a car- He & his family are old friends who I've known for 32 Years & the nearest thing I've got to family)
He & I were in agreement that the body was knackered & that ?100 was "Taking the **** " but that if He'd offered ?300 it might be a different conversation.
The chunk that's gone to the states is a section of Tunnel & What I've said on that is that I'll post it, Let the guy have tracking details etc & then when it's arrived safely He is welcome to send Me the cost of postage.
I'm sorry, And of course I had qualms/ regrets about sending it to landfill, But it's not my fault if You didn't bother to read it.
I tried my best to give bits away, but it's gone now.
purplepeter
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 am

There's not much daily activity on this forum compared to others I frequent so it is fairly easy to check on "New Posts" and skim the content. I for one knew what the "Tentative question" was soon after it was posted, even though my car is a Plus 2 and so I would not have been interested in purplepeter's shell.

I'm sorry that lottex missed out on it, but let's be grateful that PP was prepared to offer it here (for close to no money) in the first place.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MicheleDel67 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:50 am

High there.
I just seen your tentative question and wondered if you still had the body shell or the complete front end

Regards mick
MicheleDel67
New-tral

PostPost by: MicheleDel67 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:00 am

Sorry to see it?s gone to the dump lt was a Bournemouth body shell

something I?ve been looking for.for a long time

Regards mick
MicheleDel67
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: