Lotus Elan

Custom made stainless steel head to block drain hose

PostPost by: worzel » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:56 pm

img_0919.jpg and
Hi

Just found this item that I had made a few years ago. Having struggled to fit the std rubber drain hose I decided to save my fingers/joints/blood pressure I designed an easy to fit replacement that would be oil tight. Have since sold the car so don't need it now.

If you look at the picture you'll see it's in 2 halves, both ends are machined to take either "O" rings or other suitable gasket material.

The idea is to fit simply screw up fully, fit into the space between the head and block and unscrew (thereby increasing the overall length) until tight in place. To hold the tube in the extended position I intended to simply loctite the threaded section.

Alternatively, the female part that bears the 2 flats could be cut off and this could be used as a locknut. Could be done at home if you're careful with a hacksaw or get a friendly machinist to do the job for you.

Useful device if you're not a stickler for originality.

Cost me about ?35 to have made a few years back- yours for ?20 plus the postage. I think the std rubber ones are around ?10 so it's cheap at the price.

Located in Liverpool. 0151 480 8400

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:37 pm

John
I had a go at this several years ago,with a VW push rod tube,the problem is that the "hole " in the block was at an angle to the horizontal....??

john :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:41 pm

Sorry but imho 100% right.
There is no machined landing around the hole in the block, just cast finish.
I find no problem with the rubber tube with some RTV sealant.
When the rubber tube is new it's very soft and flexible.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:49 pm

we (some of us at least) had to come up with a solution like this: i used 2 diff. hex-profiles which got lightened and all threaded up plus two o-rings . the actual advantage and the reason i made one: once i forgot the rubber tube and didnt want to lift the head again!! so you need a bit of imagination and some tiny bit of engineering experience-------- dont have a lathe any more ?+"*??&/!?!`*?*%?*6!! sandy - if someone wants mine, he can have it. 36 4982
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:08 pm

I used these once http://www.jbugs.com/product/9139.html? ... hrod-tubes just have to cut them to fit
Fred Talmadge
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:35 pm

good idea fred - i had to have mine in 2hrs. so i only had to look for my hex leftovers?! and get the ol lathe ready sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:49 pm

alan.barker wrote:When the rubber tube is new it's very soft and flexible.
Alan

Well "somewhat" flexible and NOT very soft, just somewhat pliable. :wink:

I just installed my new tube without head removal. I removed the carbs and plenum and mechanical fuel pump to clear access with no obstructions. I trimmed a smidgen off the top and bottom of the new tube. I then used "pointy nose" vice grip pliers to squeeze the middle of the tube, just like you would do to clamp a brake line. This created the ability to flex or bend the tube practically in half. I used black RTV sealant and inserted bottom end into block first, then with help of the vice grips holding tube and while pushing the top with fingers or putty knife under the head, it slips right into place. Remove the vice grips and rotate the tube to assure proper seating and sealing, and PRESTO, you did it.

I was apprehensive, skeptical and nervous attempting this, but if you follow above procedure, it went together nicely without a hitch. Then to finish, you must reinstall and reconnect the fuel pump and intake plenum/manifold and carbs.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:52 am

Keep the tube in boiling water for five minutes and it becomes somewhat more pliable and easier to fit, though kudos to all those who have come up with alternative solutions!

NRBF
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:42 am

All good suggestions but this isn't helping Mr. Worzel sell his tube :oops:
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Hi

Just to advise- it appears that this item has now been sold- subject to payment being made.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: