Lotus Elan

Roll Bar for sale

PostPost by: LabroDF » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Happy Holidays to all,

I removed a roll bar from my S2 over the weekend, if anyone is interested please let me know, located in CT, USA. [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank

Best, Dennis

20151219_135154.jpg and
Last edited by LabroDF on Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis
65 Elan S2 26/4629
74 Europa TCS (sold)
LabroDF
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Am I right in thinking that the hoop legs bolt to the fibrelass floor?
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:08 pm

Looks that way, Steve. Not linked to the rear 'towers' either.

Not a great idea!

Seen some 'interesting' installations over the years but that one can hardly be recommended.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: LabroDF » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Yes Steve that is correct, I am not sure what the previous owner was thinking. I am dealing with other issues the PO created as well.. I figure with some modification someone can make this roll bar work properly.
Dennis
65 Elan S2 26/4629
74 Europa TCS (sold)
LabroDF
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:30 pm

Personally, I think that it would take more work than it is worth. What part would you keep? It looks like whoever made it didn't have a clue. I guess you could use the padding on a new hoop :-)

I don't think anyone on here would be interested as we are enthusiasts so tend to know what we are doing. I suggest you list it on eBay or similar and hope to find someone of a similar skill level to the PO :-)

What else have you got to sort out?
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: LabroDF » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:42 am

I appreciate the feed back.. I will most likely scrap it..

The Elan has been in storage for quite some time now and the PO has given me stacks of history and receipts and I'm not sure exactly what he was trying to accomplish. I am new to the Elan and I have been reading this forum for couple years now and as I am sorting through issues that are not to my liking, I find that the PO had no clue what he was doing.. Few small issues are fuel tank, (PO installed a fuel cell, not a great installation, I am in need of a fuel tank) a Pace dry sump, (horrible installation, leaking oil as well) the chassis was cut for the installation.. And many other issues where no detail was sought after.. soon after I sort out these items and drive the Elan, I think it is probably best for a frame off restoration..

Thanks again, Dennis
Dennis
65 Elan S2 26/4629
74 Europa TCS (sold)
LabroDF
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:32 am

Hi Dennis - it sounds like the previous owner was trying to build a competition car of some sorts and not doing a very good job off it, beyond their pocket depth or skill level maybe. Maybe that was realised and the car was sold as a result. Any roll bar is an Elan is a compromise as no real good outer mounts but the one you have is more of a compromise than most. The best outer rear mounting you have is the outer seat belt mounts and the roll bar does more to reinforce this than visa versa. I don't know if you have looked inside the engine but i would have a close look to see how its been built. There may be many hidden short cuts inside that match the outside issues.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ecamiel » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:37 pm

Sounds like an interesting project. Mine is similar specs but, I hope, better done.
I'm in Danbury and have a huge collection of parts. Stop by when you are in the neighborhood.

Eric 64 S1 Hart
ecamiel
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LabroDF » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Rohan, Thank you for explaining.. I suspect the same on the trying to build a competition car.

I have not looked inside yet, though I do have an extensive amount of history and hand drawings of when the engine was rebuilt which date backs to 1989. Supposedly the person/owner who rebuilt the motor was a known engineer in his area and as I am a novice to that part of a build I am not sure what to make of these documents.

I am not sure how many times the Elan has changed hands since 89 and hoping that this engineer was not the one who tried to build the competition part of it.

Best, Dennis
Last edited by LabroDF on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis
65 Elan S2 26/4629
74 Europa TCS (sold)
LabroDF
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: LabroDF » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Sounds like an interesting project. Mine is similar specs but, I hope, better done.
I'm in Danbury and have a huge collection of parts. Stop by when you are in the neighborhood.

Hi Eric, I am located in Ridgefield. I for sure would like to catch up as you are in the next town over.
Dennis
65 Elan S2 26/4629
74 Europa TCS (sold)
LabroDF
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:35 pm

I live in a village next to Danbury, then I realised you are talking about the one in the States, not in Essex UK :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: