Lotus Elan

Sixties ?lan, and books from Ron Hickman personal collection

PostPost by: DJ908 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Ron Hickman did have interests in the South Pacific. He had family living in Christchurch. When I met him here in Christchurch he was standing the right way up, for us folk anyway.

He found his way into a place called Fazzazz and was talking to the proprietor when I walked in to buy my monthly motoring magazine.

?Ah? the proprietor said, ?we have just been talking about you?! ?This is Ron Hickman and we have been telling him that you have one of his toys?!

?Not one?, I responded, ?But two?!

?Two???

?Yes two workmates?!

Ron burst into laughter and the Fazzazz proprietor looked quite puzzled until Ron explained to him that he made all his money out of workmates and precious little out of the Elan.

Ron and I then got into a serious discussion about Elans ? as you can imagine. We had a long discussion on the fit of the left hand doors. A fault in the mould (s?) which always annoyed him and which was never put right.

We then got into a discussion as to why the Elan was referred to as a toy! I explained that for years the proprietor had been ribbing me for I owned what he referred to as a Tupperware car. But that changed when he swopped a very historic racing car which he had restored and which was sent back to Europe somewhere and part of the deal included an F40 Ferrari which was shipped out here.

Another Tupperware car as I pointed out. We are still good friends but sadly Fazzazz disappeared when most of that area of the city collapsed in the 2010 ? 2011 earthquakes.
DJ908
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sundaydriver » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:06 pm

Ah, excellent stuff to hear about Ron. Would have loved to have met him.

Sorry about the loss of Fazzazz, I have friends in your neck of the woods, and hope to get out there one day. Their house is currently jacked up in the air. Not gone well though, as the builder has messed up :(
Traumatic stuff for all involved in the Quakes and aftershocks, and it'll take many years to recover I'm sure.
Sundaydriver
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:36 pm

I am the ultimate RH fan, met him several times, talked about him with lots of blokes who were there at the time. I'm afraid that nothing you have on sale interests me in the slightest.
Sorry.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sundaydriver » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:15 am

Ha ha, Thanks for your contribution,I have a copy of how to win friends and influence people, interested ?
Sundaydriver
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:57 am

Good morning David,

I think your biggest problem in selling this collection, is demonstrating how much RH penned in your copies. Obviously, you could not put up a picture of all his musings here.

If he added many notes in all the books, I certainly would be interested to have a look, with a view to buying. If there are just a few scrbbles here and there, then I would not. Perhaps you would clarify.

Re your book 'How to win friends and influence people', you will see that I am the author. If you would like me to sign your copy for Pete, just ask.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sundaydriver » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 am

Where's the rotfl smilie :lol:

Who's Pete ? For Petes sake :-) EDIT: Got It !

I'll email you some samples if you like , I've posted a few up in the images in this thread. Looks like I'll be working hard for my money here ha ha !
I'll get some post it notes and log all the entries and update the thread, luckily I'm off work this week, so inbetween keeping swmbo happy ... I'll get page leafing... :mrgreen:
Sundaydriver
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:26 am

David,

Do not do loads of work on my behalf. I would not buy this collection without seeing it, and we are a long way apart, distance wise. However, I plan to be over your way some time in May, and shall contact you nearer the time, to arange. If you decide to put the collection on Ebay before then, or indeed sell before I get to have a look, tough titty on me.

You wrote: Looks like I'll be working hard for my money here ha ha !

You will if you deal with me David ! :lol: :lol:

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sundaydriver » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am

Ha ha, the pleasure is all mine Leslie !
David
Sundaydriver
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: