Lotus Elan

Rear Lights S2 & S3 NOS !!!

PostPost by: gino1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:16 am

q
Last edited by gino1 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coup?
1967 Elan S3 Coup?
1968 Elan S4 Coup?
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:47 am

Gino wrote: Only sensible and serious offers invited otherwise I wil put them on flea bay.

Then put them on Ebay and stop wasting peoples time!

I hate this sort of ad on our site, you are conducting an auction. This is not an auction site, or forum. It is a FOR SALE SECTION.

We are seeing a growing number of this type of ad here. Suspension parts, steering wheels, et al. This is NOT a personal attack on Gino, or anyone else who has conducted this type of sale. I just do not think this type of selling has any place on our site.

If you look at what is probably the largest classic Ford site in the world, TURBOSPORT, the owner of the site stipulates in the FOR SALE SECTION, NO PRICE, NO AD., and I think this is the way to go here.

I know many agree, and I think it is time for a poll of members.

For clarity, I am not interested in the items being 'auctioned' here.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:18 am

It appears I have somewhat "disturbed" the feelings of one of our members, which was not my intention, my sole intention was to offer these "hardly ever seen in this condition" set of rear lights first on the forum.
Therefore they will no longer be for sale and not even on e bay.

Gino
Milano
Italy
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coup?
1967 Elan S3 Coup?
1968 Elan S4 Coup?
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:38 am

Gino - I think it is a great thing to do offering items like this to members first, ahead of an ebay auction. I have done this a few times and been happy to sell to someone at some way below what an auction would have achieved, I think this is a great benefit of the forum, just as all of the helpful advice is too.

David
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
1969 Europa - 210bbhp by Banks
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:19 am

as always: there's pros and cons! we all can feel free to read what suits us. some may need not only some additional elan wisdom, but maybe a part or two ----------- as long as the prices here aren't higher than there, i feel fine - i usually go directly to fleabay because I didn't want to breach any policies which i almost would have! sandy from ze alps
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Personally I don't see a problem with a make me an offer type advert. You are not obliged to make an offer nor are you obliged to make a market price offer. The seller may be quite happy to sell at under market value to a fellow member, they may not want eBay/PayPal getting their hands on 13% of the sale price. Surely it is up to the member or do we need a for sale by offer section.

What is sad is that someone has now been deprived of what are probably quite rare parts that could have completed a rebuild. The sniping needs to stop whatever is decided for the future Jeff maybe it's time to make a ruling on this.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:06 pm

My experience of SELOC, exiges.com and 2 mini forums is that an advertisement without a price is removed. Otherwise it is an auction by de facto
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Here's the rules and guidelines that are clearly posted as a sticky at the head of this forum.... Can somebody please tell me where it states you can't ask for offers?

This section is for our Members to post ads for their items for sale or trade.

Fees
You must be an active participating member of the LotusElan.net community to post ads!
Participating contributors are those members who have been on the forum for over a 3 months and/or who have more than 30 posts.
If you don't meet these requirements, you can still advertise by paying a $5.00USD for placing your ad. Place your ad and click the donate button at the bottom of the board. In the notes section, indicate payment for classified.

Rules
All negotiations must be done by Private Message or Email.
No links to external auction sites or external advertising sites. (e.g., eBay, Craigslist) Use this forum for this type of posting.
No Third Party listings. The item is to be owned by the poster. If you are posting the car for sale by someone else, Use this forum for this type of posting.
Businesses may not post ads unless they are Sponsors of this site. If you're buying or building something for the purpose of reselling it, you're a business. This is for selling your personal stuff.
We reserve the right to remove any ad for any reason.
You are using this system at your own risk.
All ads must be Lotus Elan related.
LotusElan.net makes no representations about the ads placed on our system or the people who placed those ads.
Please include location in the ad title.
Things to Remember
There is no guarantee that buyers or sellers are legitimate.
If you are concerned about the reputation or honesty of a seller, it is your responsibility to address those concerns prior to engaging in any transactions.
LotusElan.net strongly recommends use of an escrow service as protection against fraudulent transactions. One reputable service we are aware of is Escrow.com. There may be others as well.
LotusElan.net does not get involved in disputes between buyers and sellers.
If you suspect fraudulent activity, it is your responsibility to contact the authorities. LotusElan.net will not do so for you.
LotusElan.net will not release information about advertisers, except to law enforcement authorities. Do not ask us for addresses, phone numbers, or other information about ads on our system.
After your item is sold, please reply to your own thread indicating that it is sold, or contact a moderator to ask them to remove it.

Ads not following the above listed rules may be removed or relocated with no refunds given.

Discussions of these guidelines is available at: questions-f20/discussions-concerning-new-for-sale-guidelines-t27044.html"
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john1180 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:52 pm

I'd second a move to mandatory prices. If nothing else, saves a lot of back and forth.
john1180
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: danielmo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:19 pm

+1
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:30 pm

I'd like to propose a non derogatory posting rule. Basically if you can't say something positive .... Don't
If someone wanted the lights they have already contacted Gino and probably agreed it by now.
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:36 pm

terryp wrote:I'd like to propose a non derogatory posting rule. Basically if you can't say something positive .... Don't
If someone wanted the lights they have already contacted Gino and probably agreed it by now.
Terry

In other words "Be Nice"

I second that sentiment
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Gino wrote: It appears I have somewhat "disturbed" the feelings of one of our members, which was not my intention.
No, I am quite sure it was not your intention to upset anybody, and you did not. I just do not agree with your chosen method of trying to sell your items, and stated that in my post.

Gino also wrote: Therefore they will no longer be for sale and not even on e bay.

A little childish, I feel. Smacks of can,t play with my toys, I will take them away, in my opinion.

Elanfan wrote: What is sad is that someone has now been deprived of what are probably quite rare parts that could have completed a rebuild.

I do not agree with this statement. Are you telling me that if Gino received a private message offering ?350 for his lights now, he would not sell?

Elanfan also wrote: The sniping needs to stop whatever is decided for the future

Please show me where this has taken place. I think you are mixing up sniping with someone's opinion, and surely as a paid up member, I am entitled to my opinion ?

And: Jeff maybe it's time to make a ruling on this.

I could not agree more with this statement, to put this to bed once and for all.

So folks, I feel it is time to get involved. EVERYBODY ! The issue of pricing your items for sale or, imho, the nonsense of 'send me your best offer, and I will pick the highest one, when I have extracted the highest price', has been going on for some time on our site, only the latter has become much more prevalent recently. And please, don't anybody insult my intelligence and tell me that that is not the reason for the 'offers' ad.

I can recall several people stating that they would not take part or make an 'offer' when an item was marketed as such, and that is their choice.

As I have already pointed out, as have others, several other sites stipulate 'NO PRICE, NO AD'. They have obviously done that for a reason, and I believe SOME of those reasons are fairness and openness, amongst many others.

As permatan David says 'GET INVOLVED PEOPLE'. This is topic needs to be put to bed, and personally, I think the best way forward, and fairest, is to have a poll, that should run for at least a month, to give the most exposure, for people who only look in here occasonally. If Jeff does not comment directly on this thread, then I shall 'assume' that he has not seen it, and will bring it to his attention.

The rules have been quoted as stating there is nothing in them that says you cannot ask for offers in an ad. But I say, we used to import slaves at one time.................

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Gino, the lights are incredibly rare as NOS items, and I certainly wouldn't like to put a price on them. I believe that inviting offers is the best way to go with something like these items, unless you are a charity.

Of course you could re-advertise them on here as ?10,000 or nearest offer, which would satisfy the need for a price. You may have to come down in price a little though.

Please don't be put off by the rude ramblings and negativity written by some. Most of us are, like you, enthusiasts and not dealers out to make a quick buck, and are happy to pay a good price for something so rare.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Leslie,
Please read the PM I have sent to you just prior to your post above......

I know you are not fond of PM's and would prefer things to be said here out in the open, let me know if you want me to cut and paste the PM for all to see?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: