Lotus Elan

[Sold] S1 steering wheel

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Salut

A good friend has a wood-rimmed S1 steering wheel for sale, minus the horn push. Good condition.

If anyone is interested I'll get photos. He's asking for reasonable offers.

@+

Vernon
Last edited by vernon.taylor on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:35 am

Vernon
There are three types of original steering wheel for the S1 Elan, and they are all worth quite a lot.

The first type is a rivet grip woodrim with spokes at 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions.

The second is a rivet grip woodrim, with spokes at 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions

The third has no rivets, but has grip undulations carved in the wood underneath, with spokes as per the 2nd type. These were also fitted to the S2 and early to mid S3 Elans.

The third type would be valued at ?500 to ?1000, depending on condition.
The second type adds around ?300 - ?500 to those prices.

I've never seen the first type for sale, but I would imagine that it could sell for anything up to ?2000, perhaps more.

Obviously wrecks will be worth nowhere near this sort of money, but do have some value. Wheels without hubs are worth ?100 or so less. He also has to make sure that it is a correct Elan wheel, and not an aftermarket accessory such as a Les Leston, which can look quite similar.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:56 am

Salut Mark

Thanks for the info. I've asked my mate for some photos - I think it might be the third type, but don't remember.

So, anyone interested please wait for photos.

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:11 am

Salut

Photos:

SW S1 1.JPG and

SW S1 2.JPG and

I've asked him for more detailed photos if anyone is really interested.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Is this the wheel I need!?

I have a late dec 66 (registered in 67) S3 Coupe and I think this may be the wheel I need?

can anyone please advise?
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:35 pm

PM sent
36/6612
original rego PPC 8E
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:11 am

PM not received.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:59 am

dgym wrote:Is this the wheel I need!?

I have a late dec 66 (registered in 67) S3 Coupe and I think this may be the wheel I need?

can anyone please advise?

Yes it is. The S3 had this wheel up to mid 1967, and the S3 S/E had a similar wheel but leather covered. In mid '67 both went to the Chapman wheel.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:24 am

My apologies Vernon I thought I'd sent it but I didn't put a subject in so it didn't send.

Mark thanks for your help,
This wheel looks to have a chrome centre cap whereas others look to be black, does this have any significance?

It looks as though my horn push would fit into the centre that's there. I have what I assume is my original horn push (it looks old) that fits in the current moto lita wheel. Does anyone know if these would be the same fit?

sorry for all the questions!

cheers! :)
36/6612
original rego PPC 8E
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Vernon & dgym

It looks to me as if it the correct wheel and the centre looks correct although should be painted satin black but....... There does not appear to be the rear part of the centre boss in the picture. Another thing is that it appears from the photo that it has screws holding the spokes to the boss whereas it should have setscrews (don't think they were "bolts" with a shank). You can get repro hubs as someone out there has made some but not sure who. I think Susan Miller has some if you need the missing part but I would expect you will need to buy the complete 2 part unit. I would check before you buy that you are getting the correct one though as there are more than one type of centre boss that were used. Mark (elanintheforest) will know all this as he is much more knowledgeable than me about this stuff & is a very helpful nice bloke too (pay me later Mark!). It looks a nice wheel from the pic but you will need the missing bit and also remember that these wheels can be a little dangerous if you have an accident. I have one on my early S3 and it looks lovely.

All the best & good luck to you both

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:37 pm

Salut

Great info - merci.

Roland has sen me a few extra photos for those interested. I'll also let you know if he has the missing back piece.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:31 pm

Salut

Roland has the missing back piece - he'll send me a photo Friday when he gets back.

DSCN2707.JPG and

@+

Vernon
Last edited by vernon.taylor on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Vincent Haydon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 pm

Hello Vernon
Is this wheel still for sale? Presumably this is the Vernon Taylor who I have had dealings with reference steering wheels for Lotus Cortinas etc and other Lotus parts? I am interested in the steering wheel personally and as you may know I am a collector of Lotus cars and parts and this may be a steering wheel I already have, therefore if still available please could I see a photo back and front. Can you give me an idea of what your friend is looking for and is it overseas?

Many thanks
Vincent
Vincent Haydon
New-tral

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Salut Vincent

I'm just the Vernon Taylor who bought a couple of small items from you via eBay. Never seen a Lotus Cortina steering wheel, and if I ever do I hope it's a birthday present and the wife remembers to attach the rest of the car.

Sorry, the steering wheel is previsionally sold. I've done my middle-man/translator favour and the sale is now in the hands of the wheel's owner.

Thanks for your interest.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: