Lotus Elan

Elan Gearbox

PostPost by: JohnDanbyRacing » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Magnesium case 4 speed gearbox with dog engagement quaife gear kit. 0km since rebuild with new 4th gear, seals and bearings. Fully crack tested. ?2700ono
JohnDanbyRacing
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Out of interest, what series would that be eligible for? FIA APP K doesn't allow mag casing so far as I'm aware, nor does it allow dog boxes. HSCC Guards trophy looks to be outlawing dog boxes from start of 2015 - I'd like to go down that route to save on cost of synchro box repairs, but it doesn't seem likely to be allowed.

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JohnDanbyRacing » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi Paul,

App. K does allow mag casings for gearbox, bellhousing and diff casing. Yes I understand the HSCC are clamping down on dog boxes. Officially dog boxes shouldn't be used in any series but there isn't many Elans without them!
The synchro boxes we are building have been lasting on average about 1000miles of race use so not too bad.
JohnDanbyRacing
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:29 pm

JohnDanbyRacing wrote:Hi Paul,

The synchro boxes we are building have been lasting on average about 1000miles of race use so not too bad.

I would expect much much more than 1000 racing miles from a quaiffe synchro box. My current box must have done at least 10 times that much. The last time I rebuilt it was due to the layshaft fretting and coming loose in the casing and I have never had any real synchro life problems. What oil do you use? Or maybe your drivers need to use their clutch and their ears more :lol:

Or maybe I am too gentle on the change and I am loosing valuable seconds who knows !

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JohnDanbyRacing » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:16 am

Rohan,

1000miles is being on the careful side and a lot of the time there is not much to replace but always better than going to the circuit and having a problem with the gears so is more preventive maintenance than anything Most of the people in the UK are using dog boxes as they cannot get even more than a couple of race meetings out of a synchro box!

We have always used Millers 75w140 oil. You must be very gentle on changes which is not a bad thing at all!
JohnDanbyRacing
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:23 am

Try Redline MTL - Millers is old technology

I listen to my gear box and don't abuse it also. If you build it your self with your own money and labour you tend to be a little more sympathetic I guess :D

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: