Lotus Elan

Vacuum headlight bits

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:59 am

Hi

No longer need this as have converted the system to electric lifts.

As you know the feed to the front crossmember should really be orientated upwards to prevent petrol ingress so I made this some years ago.

The angled part uses an olive type arrangement so its orientation can be adjusted to suit. All brass parts.

Asking ?7.50 plus postage.

Regards

John
IMG_0437.JPG and
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Salut John

Could you post some pictures and details of your conversion, please ?

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 am

Hi Vernon

I don't currently have any pictures of the conversion but I'll certainly see if I can take some that give you some ideas.

I converted the car about 5 years ago using Lotus Excel motors (I think they're pretty much the same as Mazda MX5 ones.

Basically I clamped each motor between a stainless steel "sandwich" which was bolted into the wing. The idea being that in the case of a motor fault I could easily remove them without dismantling the mounting system.

I removed the large springs of the vacuum system and connected each motor using Lotus Excel arms which are adjustable via inbuilt turnbuckles. At the pod end I simply rigged up a small rosejoint to provide some "give" as the pods move.

The hardest part was figuring out exactly where to mount the arms on the pod since the throw of the motor is fixed in terms of length the same point needs to be found on the pod which provides the same amount of throw.

Rather than bolt the arm straight to the fibreglass I attached two small stainless plates to each pod then attached each arm to these plates (to eliminate the grp fretting).

The wiring is pretty complex (I've got a copy if you need it)- mine uses 4 relays. I made up a small board for these which I mounted inside the car (above the passenger's feet).

As a refinement I altered the circuit slightly to permit the pods to rise without switching on the lights (for maintenance).

In use I think they're much better than the vacuum system and on my two motors at least it's possible to raise each pod manually in case of electrical problems.

I'll get back to you with the pictures.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Hello John

This sounds a good conversion and not too expensive, so like Vernon would be interested in more details
Regards
Tony
tonyabacus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:03 am

Hi

Apologies for my delayed response. I'll see if I can get some clear pictures this weekend and post them.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi

A belated posting!

Pictures of the electric motors in situ- hope they're sufficiently clear.

Plus- one shot of the board I made to mount the relays for operating both the lights plus all of the relays moved from the original wing mounting (the only one left in the engine bay is the one for the horns).

Plus- whilst I was snappy happy one of the stainless steel porsche style door/wing mirror (I think it suits the car pretty well)

Plus- a picture of the engine preheater I fitted a few weeks ago (I promised a picture at the same time so apologies for the delay)

Plus- one of the now less cluttered engine bay- no vacuum pipes on the engine (I use plus 2 fronts without a servo).

Hope they're of interest.

Regards

John

PS if posting 5 isn't possible I'd add them in another posting
IMG_0443.JPG and
IMG_0442.JPG and
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:35 pm

More pics
IMG_0444.JPG and