Lotus Elan

SODA BLASTING EQUIPMENT TO STRIP ELAN

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat May 11, 2013 5:00 pm

This is a professional soda blasting setup that I bought to strip the paint from a few project Elans I had at the time. When I was phoning around to get quotes on getting this done for my cars (?800 - ?1200 each) I came across a company that was closing down, and bought his kit. The guy had bought the equipment 2 years earlier, but found the work of providing mobile soda blasting services too much like hard work!

The blasting pot is huge and heavy, and in perfect condition, It comes with the correct hose and blasting nozzle, and hose for connection to the compressor. The original instruction manual is also present.

It will blast wet or dry, and will go down to 25psi for very delicate work. It will blast the paint off fibreglass, polish glass and chrome, and cleans up engine parts a treat...soda being a de-greaser. Soda blasters were developed initially as a solution to clean the Statue of Liberty in New York, and are now mainly used for stripping fibreglass boats, aluminium and fibreglass cars, and used to clean up old beams and remove graffiti from delicate substrates.

The compressor is even more huge and a lot heavier! It is a 3 cylinder diesel mobile unit, the sort that you normally see being used to dig up roads. It delivers something like 50cfm, which is needed to blast a shell in less than a day.

You will need a lot of space to use this, and either live in the sticks or have deaf neighbours....it sounds like a diesel powered 767 at 50 ft when at full tilt.

I paid ?2500 for this lot a few years ago, and the guy I bought it from paid close on ?5000. I have used it very little.

I'm open to offers, swaps, px etc. If you have an Elan or two to do, or a boat, or fancy setting up a soda blasting business as a sideline, give me a shout.

Not sure if this would appeal to anybody on LotusElan.net, but thought you chaps would like first shout before it goes on good old eBay.

Mark
Attachments
blaster pot.jpg and
compressor 1.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat May 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Boys and their toys! :lol:

I don't think you will have any trouble shifting that Mark, it would be on my list if I had a barn and a few projects on the go.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat May 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Might be worth also phoning most of the usual workshops that do Lotus & other FibreGlass car/boat paint jobs, to see if they want a second one or one bigger than their existing one.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon May 13, 2013 11:22 am

Sale agreed, with thanks to Alan (Spyder fan).

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: