Lotus Elan

Washer Switch

PostPost by: sveris » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 pm

I have a few new single pole momentary on-off switches - the type with the black plastic rocker used on the Elan S4. $30.00 each plus shipping. I don't know how to post images, but there should be an ad with pictures listed here in a few days:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/forsale.html

Or, maybe this will work:

BTW, these switches are SPST and have a removable bright metal [nickel?] plated frame that snaps in place in the dashboard.
FWIW, I can supply all the other S4 rocker switches, too.

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Steve,
Your switches sound interesting, but don't look quite correct. All the switches on my S4 Elan have two lugs that are used to enable the switch to be screwed to the back of the dash board. I cannot see, from the photographs, any way that your switches are held to the dash board. Am I missing something?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Richard,

As you know, OEM switches like these have not been available for years. The ones I have are almost identical, i.e., the black plastic rocker is the correct size and shape. The washer switch switch in particular has ring terminals on the back, so you have to solder on spade terminals. It comes with a removable snap-in-place surround, which is how it stays in place in the dashboard. Certainly not OEM, and you're on your own as far as mounting it to the dashboard without the frame.

My other rocker switches for Elans and Europas - not pictured - have the original type mounting tabs. Here's a picture of them installed in an S4 Elan Sprint Coupe dashboard, that I did for our local British Car Museum:

HTH.

Cheers,

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Richard,

Here's the back of the dashboard with the switches installed:

Cheers,

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Steve,
You mention that you can supply the other S4 rocker switches as well.

I am trying to restore my car to look as near original as I can manage. I have a complete set of switches that I have managed to overhaul and get working, along with a couple of new (old stock) switches. This works, and looks reasonable, but the rockers on the new switches are a different shade of black to the old switches. Do you think that the rockers on your switches would fit the original switches?

Regards,
Richard
RichardHawkins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Richard,

I am sorry, but they do not. Different manufacturers, or different molds were used. It's surprising how many differences there are in switches like these. Externally, they appear absolutely identical, but internally, they can be quite different.

When I first found these substitutes, I thought that the rockers would be interchangeable. So, I envisioned an easy swap of the new on for the old, gray, faded one. Not the case.

In some cases, I have to use 2 new switches to make 1 - just to get the functions correct. HTH.

Cheers,

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Steve,
Thanks for the help, I will bear your switches in mind, and may return to your solution later.

Richard
RichardHawkins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Richard,

By any chance, are the NOS switches you have the ones for the lamps and the fan?

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: