Lotus Elan

Best place for stainless steel nuts/bolts ?

PostPost by: Stratosboy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:25 am

I'm about to embark on a rebuild of an S4 elan and would appreciate any guidance on
where I might get a large selection of stainless steel nuts/bolts and washers
that would cover what I'm going to need
Thanks
Stratosboy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Higs » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:11 am

First you need to decide what you want. The following is a starter:

1 Do not use SS bolts on strength critical parts - so delete Chassis, suspension, mounting bolts, engine etc.

2 Also note that the range of SS bolts is limited - they tend to only do a few bolts (i.e. with an unthreaded shank) and a wider range of "screws" i.e. bolts with thread along the whole length. This will may make you discard some other candidates (but probably won't if you are not into engineering). Likewise, forget about the sublety of different thickness washers in most cases.

3 I decided that many bolts/screws/self tappers did not require ss. I kept most of my SS to engine bay and boot and exterior where it was needed most. Inside doors, behind dashboard etc. was left with zinc plated kit (or reuse of the original bolts (something has to be original.....)

4 Next, I electronically downloaded the Master Parts List and put it into a spreadsheet. I corrected the data (what a pain) and put some logic to filter by Model, LHD/RHD etc.. I then added some logic to decode bolt sizes/lengths/type and the same for studs, washers, nuts etc.

5 I now have a list of every bolt, nut, washer etc. (and other part) on my car. I use the logic in 1-3 to decide which are to be SS and which not. I then have a shopping list of sizes to go to the various vendors.

6 I use two paces in Bristol (UK) as it is easier to pop back for extras. But there are plenty of other people on the net at the end of a google search. You will find that, as well as price, a key discriminator is how easy is it to order the vast range of sizes. Some sites are much better than others - some make it so laborious that I never completed my order.

I am more than happy to share my spreadsheet with anyone else - the bad news for you is that it only covers the Plus 2 in all its guises. Anyone interested then please email me (or is there a way to get it available on the site?).

So, as usual, not a direct answer to your question, but hopefully some helpful thoughts.

Richard
Higs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 am

Higs wrote:1 Do not use SS bolts on strength critical parts - so delete Chassis, suspension, mounting bolts, engine etc.

Very sound advice :wink:

The obvious answer is somebody like ....

http://www.namrick.co.uk/
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fredtech » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi. I've used this company for both my last Elan Sprint and current Type 26 Rebuild.
Found them very helpful and delivery is quick.

http://www.groveco.co.uk/index1.html

Hope that helps.
John "Freddie" Nelson, Berks UK
26/3212 - Rebuilding
S4-Sprint DHC - Now at a new home.....
Fredtech
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: