Lotus Elan

Nearly New Elan +2 Driveshaft Doughnuts and Bolts

PostPost by: lotusbaz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:17 pm

Hello,

I have for sale a pair of almost new (700 miles) rubber doughnuts for the Elan +2 complete with 12 bolts and nuts. These were bought in error as i was wrongly advised that they would fit my Elan S2!

?75 including UK postage

Any interest to anyone?

Best Regards, Baz

Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:36 pm

lotusbaz wrote:........ i was wrongly advised that they would fit my Elan S2!

They will.....assuming your S2 is proper Elan and not one of those M100 thingies :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusbaz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi John,

My Elan is a 1966 S2, 26/4388 and the doughnuts that i bought in error are larger than those fitted to my car and will not fit the driveshafts.

Best Regards Barry
lotusbaz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:54 pm

lotusbaz wrote:Hi John,

My Elan is a 1966 S2, 26/4388 and the doughnuts that i bought in error are larger than those fitted to my car and will not fit the driveshafts.

Best Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

I've never owned a Type 26, only 36's and 45's but as far as I'm aware there are only two types of doughnut fitted to Elans as standard. It is my understanding that the original doughnut was fitted until it was replaced by the stiffer "Sprint" type with the additional steel interleaves to help eliminate windup. I thought all the doughnuts are dimensionally the same and are interchangeable on Elans and +2's?

Unless there was another type and I've been blissfully unaware all these years?

Could it be the doughnuts are not +2 either?
Last edited by nebogipfel on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Baz, the S1 and very early S2 did have the disc/flange that had a slightly smaller pcd but to the best of my knowledge the doughnuts have always had the same pcd, all the Elans including the plus two ones should fit.
Do the doughnuts you have still have the metal band around as when this is removed the doughnut expands, it is normal to use a large jubilee clamp to compress and fit them.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:59 pm

types26/36 wrote:Do the doughnuts you have still have the metal band around as when this is removed the doughnut expands, it it is normal to use a large jubilee clamp to compress and fit them.

Good point Brian I forgot to mention that :wink: ....it does make a big difference to the apparent pcd
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusbaz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi All,

I feel such a FOOL!

I tried the large jubilee clip method to compress the rotoflex and hey presto it fits!

It was a bit of a struggle and at first i thought this is never going to work but eventually it did. The new rubbers are much tougher than the old worn units without the metal pieces interleaved in between the mounting holes.

So i am very sorry to everyone who enquired about buying the parts but i am obviously going to keep them. A genuine mistake by me as a new Lotus owner.

Best Regards, Baz
lotusbaz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Baz, I don't know if you are aware that there is a right way and a wrong way to fit the rotoflex, the high boss goes to the shaft, apologies if you already knew this.
Attachments
rotoflex [HDTV (1080)].JPG and
rotoflex 2 [HDTV (1080)].JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusbaz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info.

Fortunately, i had only dismantled one side so i was able to copy the other side. Thankfully that side was assembled correctly as you stated otherwise i would be starting again!

I have now managed to obtain a Lotus workshop manual at a reasonable price so that should help.

Best Regards, Baz
lotusbaz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:17 pm

lotusbaz wrote:Hi All,

I feel such a FOOL!

I tried the large jubilee clip method to compress the rotoflex and hey presto it fits!

It was a bit of a struggle and at first i thought this is never going to work but eventually it did. The new rubbers are much tougher than the old worn units without the metal pieces interleaved in between the mounting holes.

So i am very sorry to everyone who enquired about buying the parts but i am obviously going to keep them. A genuine mistake by me as a new Lotus owner.

Best Regards, Baz

Few that a relief!! :D

I suddenly thought I didn't know what I thought I knew ... if you know what I mean :lol:

Glad you're sorted :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi Guys.

Well done on an excellent example of this Forum working at its best. Job done and the man sorted.

Just a small tip on the jubilee clip method for re compressing the doughnut. A small refinement if you like. Instead of using 1 large clip, which can also be awkward to find, use three smaller ones. All of the 'adjusters' should be placed at approx 120 deg' around the coupling and each one used to adjust the coupling to line up the holes to the shafts. I find this allows one to 'fine adjust' the line up and the bolts can just slip into place..

Try also to use a hex socket for driving the worm screws rather than a screwdriver. I do this powered by my battery drill. Its fast and easy.

Good luck & safe Lotusing... :wink:

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:47 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
lotusbaz wrote:Hi All,

I feel such a FOOL!

Best Regards, Baz

Few that a relief!! :D

I suddenly thought I didn't know what I thought I knew ... if you know what I mean :lol:

Glad you're sorted :wink:

Just one other thing. The couplings should have the metal plates interleaved into the rubber. If not they are not the correct type. They could be the very early (Hillman Imp I think) type.They do fit but will not last, and give an even more spongy drive surge.

Please check this out before you fit them just in case...

Alex B...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: