Lotus Elan

Repro Aluminum Gas Tanks

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:43 am

There seems to be a lot of looker's interested in this topic but not interested enough to put a firm commitment to Steve. I guess everyone thinks its a better deal to send the $500 plus to Axminister and what ever the shipping and duty come to for that work of art that in the boot. I hope that there developes enough interest so that a future run could be made. I think Dave Bean offers/or had offered? a fuel tank for 6 or 7 hundred. I don't see it on the site now so maybe I am dreaming. anyway, if you think that you may in the market for one I wouldn't wait to long to let Steve know about your plans.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ewysock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:15 am

Steve,
I'll take one. Put me on the waiting list.
Thanks, Ed
ewysock
New-tral

PostPost by: RodMcIntyre1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Steve ,
Count me in.
I have a $100 deposit with your name on it, but I don't know where to send it.

I would like to send it to you via PayPal if possible.

Cheers
Rod
RodMcIntyre1
New-tral

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Steve,

I'm officially adding my name to the list. I posted earlier I would buy one, but just want make it 100% official.

,Russ
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:12 pm

I was browsing though the Europa group on yahoo and found these photos of Steve's earlier TCS Europa fuel tanks. I though it would show the kind of work that has been done in the past.
Attachments
SV Europa TCS tank.jpg and
SV Europa TCS tank 1.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks for posting the pics, Gary. These actually show a prototype Europa Twin Cam tank - a work in process version - before completion. If you look closely, you can see that the mounting brackets and the top and bottom are only tack welded in position. I took this one home to verify dimensions and locations before giving the fabricator the go ahead to finish it.

IMHO, the tanks come out pretty well. but just so everyone understands, these are not the works of art currently being produced by Andy Wiltshire in the UK. IMHO, it would be very difficult to equal his workmanship.

My fabricator does not grind the welded seams, nor is there any polishing done to the tank body surfaces. Individual owners have done this themselves, with very good results, but the appearance still does not equal the look of the Axminster Panels ones.

That said, it looks like there me be 5 or 6 potential orders. Since I'm not very expert at forum communications, would those of you who might consider ordering mind emailing me, directly, so that I have a record of all interested parties? Right now, I have 3 emails from the moderator - Jeff - but only limited contact info from the actual Senders. You can contact me here: [email protected]

TIA.

Kind regards,

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Steve, I take one, maybe two depending on price. I'll send a note to the website you provided. Thank you.

Famous Frank
Famous Frank

66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
66 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 pm

I bought a tank from Andy Wiltshire a few years ago to replace my rusting steel tank. Beautifully made and fitted straight in without any problems. I did ask around about stainless tanks but was told they can be brittle and crack.

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Guys,

I?m going to have a prototype made this month. Just wanted to touch base with all who had previously expressed an interest, and keep everyone else in the loop. Stay tuned for details.

Best regards,

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Steve,
If were you I WOULD put a note in the Elan section, after all you are not selling these things, you are arranging a service; I don't see how anyone could object to that. You might just pick up a few more orders and be able to bring the price down a bit.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 am

Pete,

I might eventually do that. Before I ever even posed in the For Sale section, I asked the Group moderator about whether or not that would be appropriate/acceptable. Never did receive an answer. And I hate to ruffle any feathers.

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Another Elan owner contacted me, and wondered if there was any interest in making the tanks more like a fuel cell, with internal foam sticks, etc. Would you guys who showed some interest in replacement tanks be interested in considering fuel cells - at some additional expense? From my experience, making them into "fuel cells" will add considerable $$ but he seems to think it can be done. Just running the idea up the flagpole. Please share your thoughts, opinions, and preferences.

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:15 pm

Guys,

I?m going to go ahead and have a prototype tank built. Looks like the price will be right around $365.00. To get any kind of decrease, the volume would have to be more along the lines of the Europa Twin Cam order I placed with the fabricator, which came in around 50 units.

The increase is due to the complex shape, internal baffling [the Europa tanks had none], and additional welding required.

If you think you will be interested in ordering one, please let me know. Shipping is additional, billed at cost. USPS Parcel Post is the cheapest way to go; insurance and delivery confirmation required. I will let everyone know when the prototype has been completed.

Best regards,
Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Guys,

One last item: the two mounting inserts located in the floor of the tank. If we have trouble sourcing these, is there any objection to a design change, i.e., replacing these with aluminum studs?

Some of the aluminum weld fittings are difficult and expensive to source. Using studs will avoid a potential increase in price. The Series 1 Europa OEM tanks are manufactured this way, and that?s how I have the reproduction ones fabricated.

Please provide your input ASAP.

Best regards,

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Filler neck tube has been sourced and shipped. Hoping to get time on the laser to cut panels this week. Then, some brake time, tack welding, and approval before finish welding. Stay tuned.

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: