Lotus Elan

EARLY LOTUS ELAN BLOCK NOW SOLD

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:22 am

512BB wrote:Brian,

This is all getting a little confusing. The pictures of the block that Ralph has posted, has nothing to do with me. He has posted them for Rohan, and my for sale ad has been somewhat hijacked. But I dont mind chaps, I can take it!
Leslie

Sorry, Leslie. Just another senior moment. :oops:
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:24 am

Leslie asked me to post these photos for him of the block and pistons he has for sale

PIstons and block both look new and unused to me.

For the pistons the valve cut out size appears intermediate in nature between the A and C type pistons as pictured in the Wilkins twin cam book but this may just be a trick of perpective in the photos. However in any case cut out size is not critical in a standard engine without high lift or high overlap cams.

Block would need a cleanup to remove surface rust but otherwise looks OK.

cheers
Rohan
Attachments
Imported Photos 00564.jpg and
Imported Photos 00563.jpg and
Imported Photos 00562.jpg and
Imported Photos 00549.jpg and
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:30 am

reb53 wrote:Rohan,
Attached, (hopefully), are some photos.
If they are not helpful I am happy to take some more.
Just might need some re-direction....

Cheers
Ralph.

Ralph
Thanks for the photos I will spend some time over the weekend comparing it to the ealrier blocks I have to see if can see any real differences.

Leslie
Sorry to have hijacked your ad thread with my anorak interest in block casting details

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:44 am

Rohan,

Many thanks for posting a picture of the pistons. This is the picture that I sent to prolog on his request to see them, prior to, I was hoping, him buying them. But apparently, they are battle scarred! Make your own minds up, about him, and the pistons.

Now the block pictures. I sent you these Rohan, as you had asked for a close up of a 701M block. This is a brand new, never used block, bought from Performance Unlimited, in Southend, in 1977, cost ?77.50. It is NOT the block that I have for sale. I have sent those pics to some other good fellow, and he will kindly put them up for me. If anyone wants them sending direct, please ask.

I hope any confusion has now been cleared up.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:45 am

rgh0 wrote:
For the pistons the valve cut out size appears intermediate in nature between the A and C type pistons as pictured in the Wilkins twin cam book but this may just be a trick of perpective in the photos. However in any case cut out size is not critical in a standard engine without high lift or high overlap cams.

The pistons look just like the "C" type ones after I machined for Andy Hodgkinson to prevent a 1.4" exhaust valve slicing into the pocket. The inlet side did not need to be machined for 1.625" valves.
As the pistons look new, perhaps someone already knew what to do for the bigger exhaust valve problem.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:01 pm

And just to clarify, the pistons are NEW, as can be seen, AE HEPOLITE POWERMAX, REF NO 21093/R STANDARD SIZE.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Leslie's Block pics:
Attachments
00561.jpg and
00559.jpg and
00558.jpg and
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks Robbie and Rohan for posting the pictures, owe you both one, but dont ask for my new block for fifty quid!

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Leslie,

Looking at the pistons again, they look very similar to the cast pistons being sold by QED.

This should give a clue to their real value.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:55 am

Good afternoon Brian,

I have looked at the QED site, and it appears that the equivalent pistons would cost ?100 each, making ?400 a set, plus carriage. So it appears that my original equipment pistons are a bit of a bargain! And if anyone twists my arm hard enough, I may even throw in carriage.

All the best,

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:25 pm

This thread is totally confusing..

It would be best, methinks, if the intruding thread was begun afresh as a proper new thread, and then each 'wrong' message in this thread deleted or edited down to single word: "Moved".

It's so confusing that probably even our administrator can't do it for you as he won't be able to work out which messages belong to which block and which pistons.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 am

Gentlemen, and ladies, and Gino, thanks for your PM,

I cannot see where there is room for confussion. The photos of the block that Rohan posted were for his interest only, as he wanted to see some detail of a 701 block. He was not meant to post up those pics, but did so by mistake, No probs. This block is NOT for sale.

The pics that Robbie posted for me, ARE pics of the block that IS for sale. It is a 681F L block, that has just been bored to +40, it is clean and ready to be built up. Now form an orderly line.

I hope that clears that up.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: