Lotus Elan

Plus 2 for sale

PostPost by: 71Plus2 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:25 pm

I am offering my very nicely restored 1971 Plus2 for sale. I am looking for $22,500 and will eventually accept a best offer or auction it on Ebay. Thanks for looking and I will respond to any questions as quickly as possible. The car is in Palm Springs California where the weather is perfect for the next 2 months. Please use email: [email protected]

http://picasaweb.google.com/carbide67/71Plus2?feat=directlink

I purchased the car from Don Orosco, a well known collector and racer of vintage sports cars including the Scarab, D Jaguar, etc. I chose the Plus-2 as a restoration project because it was a relatively affordable vintage Lotus and is truly a good looking car. To this day it is a real head turner, people who won't give a $100+K car a second glance will turn and stare at the Plus-2. My philosophy in restoring the car was to make it safer, faster and more reliable than the original and it should pass tech inspection for autocross, track day and Solo-II. Indeed it has passed inspection for track day and auto cross, but has never been to a Solo-II event.

Yr & Make: 1971 Lotus
Model: Plus 2, a stretch version of the original Elan.
Description: Complete body off restoration 1991-1995 About 3K miles since restoration. Original parts were stripped and either powder coated or Iridite plated. Fasteners are AN specification where needed, others are either stainless steel or Iridite plated battery group 22nf automotive
Weight: Under 1800 lb

Body: Fiberglass on separate chassis. The body was completely stripped, primed and painted
Chassis: replacement space frame by Spyder. Serial #
Paint: Deltron black. Deltron is a DuPont product, 2 pack paint developed for aircraft.
Interior: English leather and Wilton wool carpet (except tunnel cover is original vinyl)

Engine: Ford based Lotus twin cam, estimated displacement 1700 cc, 130 hp. Built up with one of Rich Kamp's tall block kits. Short block professionally balanced and assembled.
Head ported, polished and assembled by Rich Kamp
Cams are street race
Induction: Zenith-Stromberg
Ignition: electronic
Exhaust: Stainless steel headers, then 2?

Hydraulics: AeroQuip plumbing
Shocks: Carrera front and Spax rear, both are adjustable
Differential: Quaife limited slip
Transmission: original 4 speed manual rebuilt by Rich Kamp
Brakes: Non boosted master cylinder. The brakes modulate very nicely right to lock up.
Roll bar: custom, very nicely done
Seat belts: 5 point harness
Fuel: Custom fuel cell by Fuel Safe, built into original tank. Lines are AeroQuip plumbing and include filter and rollover valve.

Tires: Yokohama S306, 185/60-14
Rims: Two Gates alloy

Parts collection includes an extra wide radiator and many small parts

What does not work:
Speedometer, a part is missing from the drive at the transmission
Turn signals, likely a ground wire pulled loose
Fuel gauge, it is difficult to get a n accurate reading from the fuel cell, but likely a ground wire is loose

In Palm Springs, CA

Email: [email protected]
71Plus2
New-tral

Total Online: