Lotus Elan

Starting to Part out a full 1967 S3

PostPost by: sonunet » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:24 pm

PM me if you need parts and what you're willing to pay for them. it's a full car, really good condition. really sad to have to part, but would rather these organs help restore others on this list. it's a long story of a car sitting for 41 years with only 7300 miles with no identity whatsoever.

let me know, parts are going to start going up on ebay in a week.

sonny
sonunet
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:50 am

:(
thats sad.......if I were your side of the pond Id be trying to buy it all from you.....
I dont understand your US title thing but surely if it was restored it could be put back on the road without too much trouble....... :mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sonunet » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:07 am

it really is.... :(

here's a little history on it -- the car was born as a coupe 36/7480. in 1968 the car burned down -- the owner rebuilt the whole car with a DHC body that he purchased and had a freshly rebuilt engine and transmission. the car has everything (and i mean everything -- including spare window motors, spare seat frame, door panels for a S3/S4, spare doors, 2 extra pairs of chrome handles, heater, new and some near new lenses and markers). even the tonneau with the top with extra top sticks are there.

the owner let it sit for near 36 years, and passed away 3 years ago. unfortunately -- no paperwork, no vin plate and the original frame etched in vin is that of the original coupe (36/7480) -- so it's not title-able now.

other then a few star cracks (2 or 3 of them) and scrapes, scratches and dust -- the thing is amazing!

but here in the state of colorado the damn thing has too many variables to title - so wish the family could have just found the title somewhere, so the only thing left is to part it out and hopefully find a few cars to keep alive.

the family wants about 6000 for it (plus the cost of shipping) -- for everything thats there.
Last edited by sonunet on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonunet
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DABARTH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:19 am

I'm not certain every state in the Union will give such a hard time, including here in MN. Do you have some pictures? I agree... it would be a MASSIVE shame to split it all if it's really in as nice a shape as you say.

Cheers,

Aaron
St. Paul, MN
220...221... Whatever it takes.
DABARTH
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:27 am

Geting a title for such a car will take you a couple of months and maybe some money (not a lot).... The key phrase is "BILL OF SALE."

If you auction the car with a Bill of sale on Ebay you will get a good price

Carlos
http://yourgarage.nbc.com/cars/Lotus1970?vehicleID=112804

BUY GAS WITHOUT ETHANOL: http://www.pure-gas.org/
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ewysock » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:57 am

If you do part the car I need a rear bumper.

I have used Broadway Title Service and International Title Service with great success to get a title in my state (PA) with only a bill of sale. I prefer International because the turnaround time was weeks instead of months with Broadway.

http://www.its-titles.com/lost_vehicle_title.html

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

Ed
[email protected]
ewysock
New-tral

PostPost by: Carlos A » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:26 pm

ewysock wrote:I have used Broadway Title Service and International Title Service with great success to get a title in my state (PA) with only a bill of sale. I prefer International because the turnaround time was weeks instead of months with Broadway.
http://www.its-titles.com/lost_vehicle_title.html
http://www.broadwaytitle.com/
Ed

There are many other companies. But BTS is quick, indeed. All of them will get you a title if the car has a legit origin (wich in this case it does).
http://yourgarage.nbc.com/cars/Lotus1970?vehicleID=112804

BUY GAS WITHOUT ETHANOL: http://www.pure-gas.org/
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:50 pm

My first Elan succombed to a fire. I bought the wreck back from the insurance company.

So there is no VIN plate, just the old registrarion.

But just from that point, there should be no trouble getting a new title.

Every now and then, blank VIN plates crop up on Ebay, so you could get an authetentic looking body to go with your new registration.

Hang in there.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mr.vman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Sonny,
Try to get a, "bill of sale". Trailer the car or call Motor Vehicle to do an "eyes on" inspection of the car. Often, Motor Vehicle will come to you. Have documentation if possible. Ask the inspector what can be done to get title. This process could take several trys. Be up front and tell the inspector the truth, you will be at the inspectors mercy. In Arizona, without a good title, and if the inspection is done, a "bonded title" can be had. Going to an automotive title company can also help if, you have to send away for a title search. A short cut is, to take the car to towing company, and have them apply for title while it is in their possession. Towing companies are well versed in this. I had an S3 Elan with a good Arizona title, and still had to make several trips to Motor Vehicle. I bought an English car in pieces. I was told that the car had a good title, when the car was delivered, there was no title. I went through the above steps and I was able to get a "bonded title" ($250). When I do these things, I play by Motor Vehicles rules and don't allow myself to become angry or frustrated. Going through the process for the Elan is well worth it!
If you do not want to get a title, I am looking for a good Weber head.
Good luck, and watch the blood pressure with DMV.
Steve Vukobratovich, in Arizona
mr.vman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mr.vman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Wait a minute! If the car was titled in Colorado, the owners of the car can go to Motor Vehicle with a death certificate and obtain title! The owners name will be on file with the state. If you buy the car, once again, get the "bill of sale" from the family or? Show your information to Motor Vehicle, they can "pull up" the title information. VINs can be found on the drivers side (LHD) chassis rail next to the master cylinders. Also look inside the doors, VINs were also painted into the outer door skins, inside the doors. This might not be that bad. The car will still need the "eyes on inspection". This is can all be done. I hope this helps. For a S3 Elan the process is worth it!
Good luck and be patient, Steve Vukobratovich
mr.vman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sonunet » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:45 pm

so the car's been SOLD to the right owner that will make it road worthy -- and will stay here in the state of Colorado. which is wonderful for the family. thanks to all who inquired.
sonunet
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:40 am

a sworn affidavit from a Justice of the Peace stating this car is from and owned by previously etc will get you an ownership here ----try the licensing bureau and see what else they want ---shame to destroy a car that's so much fun and its a pity I dont need another one or the trailer would be hooked up now --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: