Lotus Elan

radiator caps

PostPost by: PWTrusty » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:29 am

My recently rebuilt +2/s has the stock radiator with a "Pinto" water pump. The original coolant overflow may have been converted to the windshield washer bottle and the overflow is now piped overboard.
1. the shop and parts manual show bot a 7 psi and a 10 psi cap.I have the 7 but I get periodic discharges of coolant.
2. Was the radiator overflow a Tudor bottle and where was it mounted?
My Europa's had a Tudor bag for the washer not a bottle..
Phil in Tenn
PWTrusty
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:45 am

Hello
Firstly I believe you can use either cap, depending on what point you want the water to begin discharging into the bottle.
The bottle is located on the carb side of the engine mounted on a bracket on the radiator mounting (Late +2S) see picture. Its not an overflow bottle its a "Recuperator" bottle. You have to use a radiator cap with the rubber seal in the top (as well as the usual place). After the coolant expands it goes into the bottle , then on cooling the coolant contracts and returns to the radiator. The hose has to be fully submersed in a small amount of coolant in the bottom of the bottle (25mm?) and the cap/hose has to have a fairly good seal. What the arrangement does is ensure that the coolant system is always full as it works better with a completely full system.
Hope this helps

Terry
Attachments
Engine bay.jpg and
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PWTrusty » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Thanks Terry.
your response was appreciated..my +2/s was repainted the same blue your pictured shows.
Phil
PWTrusty
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: sebring » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:36 pm

as a footnote to the above, the Triumph TR's (6) also had this recuperative system - the replacement bottles available for this model via Moss Europe/Rimmer Brothers are made from a thicker/denser plastic than that of the Tudor washer bottle type and therefore more suited to the hot water - they also happen to be the same price, within a few pence.
i know this as i have just bought one for my baby elan complet with metal cap, grommet and pipe - the 13lbs pressure cap from the TR fits too and has the requisite rubber seal.
hope this helps
sebring
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: