Lotus Elan

Is it me?

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Is it me or are things getting dearer? I thought we were heading into a recession....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-ELAN-SUNDYM ... 240%3A1318

Maybe he wants my Plus 2 for breaking...he can have it for ?20,000...

John :wink:

P.S. If you're a lister on here ......sorry.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:52 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:P.S. If you're a lister on here ......sorry.

Nope - looks like James May in that reflection! :shock:

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:27 pm

I think that the clue to answer your question is the zero bids....If the decimal point is shifted to the left a bit he may sell it!

I think that it's bargain time, and they are going to get more plentiful.

A really nice looking early car with good paint, chassis and engine, and didn't even make it to ?5k:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-ELAN-2-YELL ... 240%3A1318

A candidate for breaking, with 'rebuilt' engine, sold for less than the engine would have fetched last year:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-ELAN-2-2-S1 ... 240%3A1318

Good pickings!!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Hello,

Remember the really nice looking early car with good paint and engine that didn't even make it to ?5k?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-ELAN-2-YELL ... 240%3A1318

Well it has just reappeared with a ?14,500 price tag. :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-ELAN-2-1968 ... 240%3A1318

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Hey, Simon, you're back :D

The ?14k may be a tad optomistic, especially as there's talk of some sort of economic downturn...don't believe it myself.

However, Paul Matty has a stunning Roman Purple Plus 2 in his showroom, a partially completed Peter Day restoration. It looks stunning, and the price tag, when completed, is..............is...............?30k.

If you say it fast enogh it's not too bad for Plus 2 perfection. After all, how much is a new Z4 these days?

I know which I'd buy, and it wouldn't come from Munich :D

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:18 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Hey, Simon, you're back :D

I know which I'd buy, and it wouldn't come from Munich :D

Mark

No I am not going to bite my tongue, no I won't.
I will get used to not having any connection with that illustrious Bavarian car maker.
I'm "a happy Bunny" now.

(Although I've driven enough Z4's to assure you that their suspension & seats are so hard that they make your fillings fall out.
Not a match for Elan comfort. They go around corners OK though)
:D :D :D
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:02 pm

The Roman Purple / silver metalflake Peter Day shell has been at Mr Matty's for almost two years - are they now making a car out of it?

That yellow car has the same original 40 year old chassis and non original rear fog lights it had in November when the bidding dried up at ?4,600. Now the current vendor imagines the value to have increased by ?10K. Full marks for trying I suppose.

I too would have the perfect, as new purple +2 in preference to a Z4 but as it was part of a raft of BMW designs which I find utterly artless that's not a significant challenge.

:D

Best wishes,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bbob1 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:44 am

It's the old dealer classic method in psychology - price a car way over what it's worth then when someone goes in to look at it they "discount" it by what appears to be a huge amount. The dealer is still making a massive profit but the buyer thinks he's got a great deal!
bbob1
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:08 am

I've got a spare weber cylinder head for ?3,000:00 if anyone needs one...........but if you really want it you can have it for ?1,500:00...after all it is Christmas...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:12 pm

Welcome bbob1,

The free market economy is a fish tank where bigger and wiser fish eat the smaller and more naive ones and whilst I wouldn't usually presume to interfere with the process of natural selection, if someone with ?14,500 in his hand came to us on his way to buy that car I'd feel no qualms about telling him what class of Plus Two he could really get for that money - certainly one with a fresh chassis.
:)

Best wishes,

Si.
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: a1topdog » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:29 am

Its happening all the time. There was recently a MK1 Lotus Cortina that was for sale for months and months at a well over priced ?50K. The same car has now resurfaced at a dealer for an unbelievable ?65K !! Dealers don't seem to realise what a small world the classic car market is and how closely the car sales are followed by the enthusiasts.
a1topdog
New-tral

Total Online: